Sleeping on Your Stomach After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm still sleeping with my legs up and on incline with my back and it's day 15 after my procedure. It's hard to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time laying this way. I don't feel pain, except in my back, and I still have tape all where the incision was, and that's not close to peeling off. But is it okay to lay on my stomach and when does the tape start coming off?

Sleeping and tummy tuck

+5

It may take a few weeks before you can lie flat in bed. You probably can lie on your side with your legs bent.

Ask your doctor

+3

Patients should follow their physicians instructions to the "T". Trying to get post-op instructions from others is like too many cooks - they spoil the broth!

Robert M. Freund, MD

When is it okay to sleep on stomach after tummy tuck

+1

I generally allow my patients to sleep on stomach after 2 weeks, However, your surgeon may have other concerns and I would consult with them prior to sleeping on your stomach.

When to sleep on your stomach after a tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. Patients undergoing this surgery must understand that there is a significant recovery process afterwards. Immediately after the surgery, patients are recommended to sleep on their back weather side and to keep their hips flex at all times. As your lower abdominal tissues will begin to relax, you'll be able to stand up straight at which time you can sleep on your stomach. This can happen at different times for each patient. In your case, it sounds as if your lower abdominal skin is still tight and you would benefit from continuing to sleep in a flexed position. During the day, try to stand up a little straighter everyday and to walk as much as possible. This will make you feel much more natural and help stretch your tissue.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Post op care after Tummy Tuck

+1

See your surgeon. I agree that you should get your advice from your own surgeon and not the rest of us on the internet. You will be much happier in the long run. Good luck.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon