How Much Size Difference Can I Expect After Tummy Tuck?

Will there be difference in size of my waist and belly after tummy tuck? If yes, how much? I am scheduled for a tummy tuck. I am wondering how much size change in my waist and belly should I expect.

Internal Corset to Narrow the Waist

+2

The ‘Internal Corset’ – a procedure to narrow the waist

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

No easy way to know dress size after tummy tuck

+2

There is no absolute method of determining this calculation.

It is a complex interplay of your intrabdominal contents (organs), skeleton (hips/ribs), muscle status, fatty deposits, and skin quality.

Furthermore, it will likely take at least 2-3 months for your results to settle and to determine your final dress size.

Changes after a tummy tuck

+1

With tightening of the abdominal musculature, you will notice that your stomach will be flatter. It may not change the size of your pants.

Size difference after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. Patients appreciate the dramatic difference in the size and contour of their abdomen. The most dramatic results are in our larger patients who receive a full or extended tummy tuck. We have had patients who have lost eight dress sizes. Other patients describe losing 2 to 6 inches off their waist. For a beautiful and long-lasting results, work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience in body contouring surgery, abdominoplasty, and liposuction. Together, you can create a surgical plan that will best meet your needs. Also remember that your surgical results will be complimented by weight loss, participating in a rigorous exercise regimen, and maintaining a balanced low-fat diet.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Size change after tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck makes a good change in shape and contour. If you wear your jeans low, you may not seee a difference in size of the waist of your jeans, but a change will be evident above. Your best bet is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

This depends on how much tissue will be removed...

+1

You will definitely get a measurable size reduction. This depends on how much fat tissue is to be removed and how much tightening that you will require at the time of surgery. It is very hard to give you a number without knowing more about you or seeing your pictures. Patients definitely fit into clothes much better after the procedure and notice a significant improvement in their body contour. It is one of procedures that has an extremely high patient satisfaction rate.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon