Can I Get 6-Pack Abs After Tummy Tuck?

Can Someone Have a Tummy Tuck and Still Manage to Get a 6 Pack After It?

Can I Get 6-Pack Abs After Tummy Tuck?

If a full tummy tuck is performed, the attachments from the abdominal wall at the level of the muscle, to the skin will be disrupted and will not show what most people would call a 6-pack.  On the other hand, the muscles will be tightened and flat and should still look very nice. 

For more information, please go to my website at:

Can you get a "six pack" after a tummy tuck

The term "six-pack abs" refers to the visibility of the abdominal muscles through the abdominal skin in patients with fairly low body fat percentage.  There are separations in the abdominal muscles called tendinous inscriptions which horizontally separate the sections of the abdominal muscles resulting in six or even eight sections (three or four per side).

A tummy tuck will get your muscles back into the correct position and tighten them. But it will not necessarily give you a six-pack unless you get your body fat percentage low enough with diet and exercise.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Six Pack Abdomen with Tummy Tuck? Yes We Can!

• A six-pack abdomen is the result of 2 things:

Well-developed rectus abdominis muscles

A thin layer of fat between the skin and underlying muscle
  • As a surgeon performing an abdominoplasty, I have control over several factors in making a six-pack abdomen.  I can assure that the rectus muscles are brought together in the midline of the abdominal wall, and have some control of the thickness of the overlying fat layer.  With my tummy tuck technique, the surgical scissors are used to thin out the fat of the abdominal wall.  Unlike using liposuction which cannot safely be done over the rectus muscles, thinning the fat with scissors allows me to be aggressive in this area without damaging the blood supply of the tissues.  Thinner tissues will tend to allow the underlying muscles to be visible, thus giving you back your six-pack.

• Obviously, the patient is in control of the remaining factors, such as diet and exercise.  If the fat layer is thin, but the muscles are not well developed, then guess what?;  No six-pack.  Likewise, even if your muscles are ripped, if the fat layer is too thick, you won’t be able to appreciate it visually.

I hope this helps answer your question.   Good luck!

6 pack abs after tummy tuck

In order for you to have  the look of a 6 pack abs you would need to have a very low percentage of body fat.  Most patients having a tummy tuck would not achieve that result.

Tummy Tuck and 6 Pack Abs

Let's first define what MAKES a 6 pack abdomen; extremelytoned and developed abdominal muscles, in their normal anatomical location which are covered by thin skin which does not obscure the muscle details. If you have worked long and hard and HAVE such muscles but the world cannot see them because they are hidden by a mild layer of fat, this can be NICELY fixed with differential or "Hi Def" Liposuction. The liposuction will unveil the already existing muscles. A Tummy Tuck is aimed at the patient with loose skin, separated abdominal muscles and minimal or mild amount of fat along the lower portion of the tummy. A Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty will remove loose skin, tighten and flatten the tummy as well as narrow the waist. BUT it is NOT an operation intended to unveil a non-existing 6 pack musculature. Dr. Peter Aldea

Not impossible but highly unlikely

To get a 6-pack you would have to have very minimal body fat, good muscle tone and little sagging excess skin. Patients who get a tummy tuck do not generally have this. After a tummy tuck, you would have more muscle definition but probably not to the point that you'd have a 6-pack if you didn't have one to start off with.

It is not impossible, however, but it would be surprising if it did occur.

6 Pack Abdominals

This is possible to have 6-pack abs after tummy tuck but there are several factors that determine this including overall body fat, muscle status, nutirtion,