Tummy Lipo Insertion Points?

I had lipo (SAL) done on my tummy and upper back ( under bra line) and love handles,breast augmentation and septoplasty all in one session. but pictures of before and after shows no changes in my tummy area. when i asked my doctor, he said he did it through belly botton. All my research shows there should be at least four point of insertion to remove belly fat evenly. So can you do proper tummy lipo with only one insertion or incision point in belly botton?

Tummy Lipo Insertion Points?

+1

It would be helpful to know how far out from surgery you are. If it is a month, it would not be surprising to see little difference. If it is six months, any swelling should have resolved, and this would probably be your final result. 

There are numerous techniques for liposuction, and much depends upon the location and quantity of fat. The navel is a common port site because the scar is hidden. I will usually add two groin incisions to do the entire abdomen, but if a small localized amount of fat is present, sometimes the navel alone is enough.  There are as many ways to do this as there are patients.

All the best. 

Abdominal lipo incision sites

+1

It would be difficult but not impossible to only use an incision in the belly button.  I typically like to use two incisions-one in the left groin (because I am left handed) and one in the belly button.  If the flanks are being done too, then I make an incision at the top of the buttock crack.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Insertion spots for tummy liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question about liposuction. The number of insertion sites for a tummy liposuction depend on the amount of fat and the person's shape.

• Typically 1 or 2 liposuction incisions around the belly button
  • 2 - 4 in different areas, e.g. side, groin.
  • It is possible to use just the belly button for lipo if all the fat is in that area.
  • There are other reasons for seeing no result - you had little fat to remove,you forgot to wear the garment,  you are still swollen. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Insertion spots for lipo

+1

In general, most surgeons want to "cross-tunnel" the fat - by removing it from several different directions.  So, usually, that requires a couple of incisions.  But if the pocket is small, sometimes you can get it out with just one.  Depends on the patient's situation and the surgeon.

At 3 weeks post-op, you still are swollen, so wait at least a few more weeks before judging the results.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Liposuction incision points

+1

There is not just one approach to performing liposuction.  One or several incisions may be used depending on the technique and area(s) being treated.  The results from liposuction usually take a good three months to get where they are going, for the swelling to fully resolve and the skin to tighten and contour back.  At that point if you still do not see any difference in comparison to your before photographs, then you should express your concerns with yr surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction access points

+1

There is great variability in the way different surgeons do liposuction.  While I do perform the procedure from more than one "port" in the abdomen in order to maintain a smooth outcome, your surgeon may be used to doing things differently.  If you don't see an immediate result, this is more likely due to swelling than technique...  Be patient and hold off on your evaluation until the healing resolves completely in a few weeks to months.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Number of Access Points for Liposuction

+1

This is largely a function of surgeon preference and experience.  I personally make 3 incisions for liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, and upper and lower back.  Another surgeon may make more incisions or place the incisions at different areas.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lipo Incision points

+1

The belly button is a common area used to access the abdomen, and more incisions can be used but may not be needed.  If you have weak muscles causing your abdomen to protrude, or a fair amount of intrabdominal fat, even a whole liter of fatty tissue removed from the abdomen may not look as dramatic as it does in other areas like you hips or back where the fat overlies only muscle and bone.

Typically a third to a quarter of the fullness making an abdomen protrude is due to the fat that the liposuction canula can reach.  The other three quarters to two thirds lies inside the abdomen depending on your genetics and weight. 

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and access

+1

Everyone does it a bit differently. Therefore, access points for liposuction will be different.  I usually use one in the umbilical area, and two in the groin.  The hips I may do from a small incision in the hip area.