Can I Get Liposuction if I Weigh 240lbs?

I'm 5'3 and weigh about 240lb and was wondering if I can get lipo done or would surgeons turn me away?

Volume reduction liposuction

+2

I have a lot of experience with "large volume" liposuction and I have found that often patients "get stuck" trying to lose weight before wanting something done.  I have found that by doing large volume "debulking" liposuction first, patients are motivated and it further enhances their "gusto" to push hard and further refine their appearance with diet and exercise.  There have also been some recent studies that show some medical benefits to fat reduction / liposuction.  I still absolutely will not cut any corners on patient safety. I get full medical clearance and will only do surgery if everything is medically clear.  Lovenox is also something I have a lot of experience with in patients with higher BMIs in oder to minimize blood clots.

Work Down Your Weight

+1

Your  BMI is 43 which is very high, so you should start losing weight, reward yourself with some lipo and keep losing.

Liposuction is best for spot areas, but it can work as a jumpstart if you are having no luck losing weight.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction question

+1

While you may not loose a lot of weight with liposuction it may improve the contour of your body which will make you happy. you need a consultation and realistic expectations. As out patient surgery 5 liters is all most doctors will remove so to do more you would need an overnight stay in the hospital. Good Luck

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

+1

Liposuction is not for weight loss. If you need correction of fat deposits then you will have some improvement. You will need to lose weight afterwards

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

5'3" 240 lbs and Appropriateness of Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is usually recommended for stubborn fatty deposits and not for generalized reduction.   However, if you are otherwise healthy, the liposuction can be performed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Can I get Liposuction if I weigh 240 lbs

+1

The answer is that it depends on your goals from the liposuction surgery.  Assuming you are otherwise healthy, the procedure done in the right hands and the right location should be safe for you.  However, liposuction is not a weight loss technique but rather a body reshaping procedure.  If your goal is to have a "bikini" body than your goals are not realistic from liposuction.  However, if you want to remove a large amount of fat and help reshape your body or if you feel that this may jump start you to a newer lifestlye, than it can be the procedure for you.  The most important thing is that you have a realistic expectation from the surgery so you will not be unhappy with the results. 

Paul M. Glat, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Is Not Weight Loss Surgery

+1

While liposuction can be done at a weight of 240lbs, the important question becomes of what value it would be. It can not really contour a body at such a weight and is not an effective weight loss method. As a general rule, liposuction is most effective when one is within 20% of their ideal body weight.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction in the obese patient

+1

Given your height and weight, you need to understand that liposuction is not a weight loss regimen.  It typically removes only a few pounds and the goal is body contouring, not shrinking.  I recommend that you try a weight loss program.  I have seen no scientific evidence that "debulking" has the suggested outcome; all it does is to debulk your pocketbook.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction and obesity

+1

At your weight and height, you have a bmi of 42.5, and are classified as class 3.  Your weight range should be 104-141 lbs.

Lipo is not a weight loss tool, so if this is your goal, it is not likely that a surgeon will accept you.  If you have another motive, perhaps.  One thing to know is that at your current bmi/wt, you are at a significantly increased risk for death and all complications, so on that count alone, it may be a non-starter.

The bigger picture is that you are currently at great risk for premature death, significant diseases, and immobility with attendant decrease in quality of care.

I am glad you asked this question, and I hope you understand that I am writing this not to chide you, but rather because I care.  I would urge you strongly to consider bariatric surgery, or other weight loss solution with a proven track record of success and safety- your life and lifestyle depend on it.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Liposuction

+1

If you do not have any health issues then you can have liposuction. Remember that you will see close to nothing in the way of weight loss with liposuction. It in no way takes the place of a weight loss program. There is a standard protocol for the amount of fat to be removed during one surgical setting. Your surgeon will not be able to liposuction out an endless amount of fat. Normally the procedure is used to remove pocket of fat or to sculpt the body. If your expectations are reasonable then you may be pleased with the result. Good luck to you.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon