Is it Normal to Be Having These Strange Itchy Sensations After Liposuction?

I've got my lipo 10 days ago in my back, flanks, tummy, inner and outer thigh and till my knee. What worries me is that in all the liposuction areas I lost skin sensation like for example if am itchy i want to rub my skin but no use as if there are ants walking on me. Is that normal......and if yes till when?

Lost of sensation after liposuction

Yes, it is normal that you have some kind of lost of sensation and that is because of the swelling. It will get better as the swelling diminish in the next couple of weeks .

Plastic Clinic, Av. Gustavo Mejía Ricart #196 esq. Av. Abraham Lincoln
Santo Domingo , Distrito Nacional

Intchy sensation after liposuction...

It is normal to have all the sensation describe it for you. Use some vitamin E cream to hydrated your skim after every shower, also you can use a cotton shirt beneath you garment and finally wash and change your garment daily. Use shampoo or any soft soap to wash your garment, some detergents may cause irritation of the skim.  Good luck. 

Ricardo Ventura, MD

Fantino Falco # 21 Naco
Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo

The sensation you report is common, and normal. The nerves going to the skin are traumatized, but usually recover within 3 months.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

1708 Laurel Street
Columbia, SC 29201

Strange Sensations after Liposuction

Numbness and tingling after liposuction is to be anticipated and is a part of the healing process following liposuction. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Itching after liposuction

These kind of sensations are very normal after liposuction.  When your surgery was done, this caused some disruption of the small nerve fibers in the skin.  The recovering nerve fibers are transmitting abnormal sensations such as itching.  Over time this will get better and the area should feel normal.  Thanks for your questions.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

1401 S Beretania St
Honolulu, HI 96814

Normal Sensory Changes in Skin After Liposuction

Dyesthesias or strange sensations of the skin are the norm after liposuction. Most of these will go away by 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as the sensory nerves return to normal feeling.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

itching in the treated areas is very common after Liposuction. its not a long-lasting condition and it should subside in a few days. if it doesnt go away I would advise to please check with your doctor

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

345 East 37th Street
New York, NY 10016

Sensory issues with liposuction

Some numbness is common after liposuction.  This usually gets better with time.  I think it may happen more with the heating type devices.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Itchy Sensations after Liposuction

Liposuction frequently disturbs normal sensation of the skin that overlies the areas that are involved. This can result in numbness or any of a variety of abnormal sensations including itchiness. These sensory changes are almost always temporary. It may take weeks to months but is will get better.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

688 White Plains Rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Strange sensations after liposuction

Everything you describe is perfectly normal, and will improve with time.  I always council my patients that some degree of numbness, as well as what is called paresthesias, is the usual course.  Paresthesia is kind of like "nerve confusion", as the nerve is not sure how to feel after surgery and it takes some time to get back to normal as it goes through numbness, itching, burning, etc....  It will improve!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

1722 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101