Liposuction on Lower Abdomen and Flanks Only. Not Treating Upper Abdomen? (photo)

I'm having my lower abs and flanks liposuctioned later this week. I'm worried that omitting treatment for my upper abs may be a mistake in the long term. Thoughts please?

Liposuction on Lower Abdomen and Flanks Only. Not Treating Upper Abdomen

+1

I am not sure what you define as lower abdomen, but clearly there is excess fat in the area I would call the upper abdomen. I find it so uncommon to treat just the lower abdomen, I consider the abdomen to be one area.

All the best. 

Upper abdomen lipo, or not

+1

It depends on how much fat you have there.  Most people do need a little lipo there, in addition to the flanks and lower abdomen, so that the thickness of the subcutaneous fat is nice and even throughout the areas that are treated.  However, if you pinch the upper abdo area, and there's hardly any fat there - then the approach described is reasonable.  Speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

Treating Lower Abdomen with Liposuction

+1

I would say that the most reasonable approach to this to evaluate the subcutaneous layer and try to maintain evenness of this layer.  That will produce the best results with liposuction and will help with maintenance of the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction of the entire abdomen vs just lower abdomen

+1

When I do liposuction of the abdomen, I treat the entire abdomen from under the breast line, all the way down into the pubic area. My mentor (who had over 25 years of experience in liposuction) taught me this. I have seen 2 cases of patients who had liposuction of just the lower abdomen 10 to 15 years earlier, and they came in with a flat lower abdomen and a bulging upper abdomen (from aging and possibly a little weight gain). It looked pretty unnatural. So, even if my patients don't have a lot of fatty tissue in the upper abdomen, I still do the entire abdomen.

However, you should discuss it with your surgeon and decide what is best in your individual case.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction on Lower Abdomen and Flanks Only. Not Treating Upper Abdomen?

+1

This is really a discussion between the chosen surgeon and yourself. Because only in person evaluations can allow a diagnosis to need. I might guess that upper abdomen lipo is a good idea to include but over the internet even with the posted photos verity hard to respond. 

Upper abdomen liposuction?

+1

It does not appear as if you have significant fat in the upper abdominal area.  Without examining you, it is difficult to tell.  If your surgeon is experienced and you trust his judgement, I would go along with his decision that you do not additional liposuction in the upper abdomen.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Full or lower abdominal liposuction

+1

The limitation of a photo is that it cannot indicate whether you have muscle weakness in the abdomen which might require a tummy tuck.  That said, whether to lipo the entire abdomen or just the lower area is a matter of your own tolerance and pocketbook. In general, I prefer to work on the entire abdomen and think that it produces a better result. In your case, there is evidence of some bulge or excess above the umbilicus.

Abdomen

+1

If your surgeon has recommended liposuction, then I would do the entire abdomen, not just the lower abdomen.

My concern would be if the bulge you have is due to fat, or muscle bulging. If it is muscle bulging, then an abdominoplasty may be a better option.

Good luck.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Localized Liposuction

+1

In most cases, such as yours, it is best to liposuction the entire region to achieve the best results.  If you are just treating localized areas, the result will not be as good as what can be achieved with more comprehensive treatment.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Abdominal liposuction

+1

I agree. I think it is a mistake to only liposuction the lower abdomen. What  may happen after surgery is you start accumulating more fat in the upper abdomen if you gain weight.