Do I Need to Shave my Armpits Before Getting a miraDry Treatment?

For a guy, the thought of shaving my armpits seems odd. Is this something I need to do before the appointment, or is it not an issue?

Armpits should be shaved 1-3 days prior to the procedure

+3

Armpits have to be shaved prior to this procedure.  I recommend that shaving should be done prior to coming to the office one to three days prior to the procedure.  There has been a few reports of infections reported when the armpits were shaved at the doctors offices.  The reason for this is unclear but most likely is related to microscopic scratches that are sustained during the shaving prices that may serve as a portal of entry for bacteria during the procedure causing infections

Shave 1-2 days prior to miraDry treatment

+3

Yes, we ask both our female and male patients to shave 1-2 days prior to miraDry treatment. It may be a little annoying but if you do not shave your underarms at home it will need to be done just prior to the treatment in order to get the treatment.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Shave Your Underarms 4-6 Days Before Your miraDry Procedure

+2

Dear anon,

miraDry is an excellent, non-invasive treatment for excessive underarm sweating.

Shaving your underarms at least 4 days prior (eg. 4-6 days prior) to your miraDry procedure is recommended so that your hair will not interfere with the treatment and that any skin irritation related to shaving will have subsided.

It is also possible, though less optimal, to have your underarms shaved by your provider just prior to your procedure.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

MiraDry and armpit hair

+2

I agree with the other doctors that shaving is indeed necessary for success of the procedure.

The other issue is that there is often a permanent reduction of hair growth after the treatment. Women LOVE this 'side effect", and I have yet to see a male patient who would not gladly trade in his axillary hair for a fix for his hyperhidrosis. Because so many athletes and other males are now shaving their armpits, this has not been an issue at all.

Michael L. Maris, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Underarms need to be shaved prior to MiraDry for excess sweating or hyperhidrosis

+2

It is important not to have the hair shafts be in the way when we deliver MiraDry for excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis. Thus, we ask our patients to shave a day or two prior to the procedure. In case our patients forget to do so, we can assist in shaving prior to the MiraDry procedure.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Shaving Prior to MiraDry

+2

Yes, patients are required to shave both underarms about 1-2 days prior to MiraDry treatment.  If you forget to shave, we will shave your underarms before the procedure.  However, it is possible that this may lead to irritation so we prefer to have you shave prior to your appointment.

Kathleen M. Welsh, MD
San Francisco Dermatologist

Miradry and Retrograde suction curettage for underarm and axillary hyperhidrosis

+2

Shaving is important before any type of axillary hyperhidrosis treatment, including the Miradry system. I have all of my patients shave one day prior to treatment with Botox or Retrograde Suction Curettage for axillary hyperhidrosis.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yes it is a good idea but we can do it for you

+2

Shaving is required but we can do it for you at New Horizons Center for Cosmetic Surgery in Chicago where we offer Miradry

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Yes, shave 2-3 days before procedure

+1
Its a must, this is because the electromagnetic energy needs to be delivered cleanly to the eccrine or sweat glands, and not have hair in the way. BTW- miraDry can cause PERMANENT hair reduction in all patients, this is because the sweat glands and hair follicles reside in the same depth. We ensure that all patients are aware of this prior to treatment. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Dermatologist Specialist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Shaving Armpits with MiraDry

+1

Yes, you need to shave your underarms 1 or 2 days prior to your Miradry appointment for optimal results.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD