Calf Augmentation and Risks of Implant Movement

I have been wanting calf implants for a while, but have been concerned with the long term risks, mainly with playing contact sports and doing strenuous exercise and the fear that with constant movement and stress on the legs, it could cause the implants to move and therefore, increase the size of the scar tissue pocket and cause asymmetry etc. I would really like to know if this is possible and likely to happen? And, if the implant did shift, could it be fixed?

Canadian Success with Calf Implants

+5

Hi.  I have performed calf implantation for 6 years, approximately 1-2 per month.  I use various shapes of soft-solid (ie non-gel) silicone implants and each model comes in various sizes.  I choose the implants based on the patient's anatomy and his desired 'look':  The implants are placed under the FASCIA of the original calf muscle (usually the inner part of that muscle).  This is of UTMOST importance. The fascia is a very tight and strong layer covering the muscle and it will contain the implant in the original position.  It is usually strong enough to undergo the physical stress of sporting activities.  Rarely (<3-5%), the capsule that forms around the implant may contract and shift the implant slightly or make it more visible.  This could be corrected surgically.  It is rare.  The procedure is performed in a fully-accredited surgi-center, with board-certified anesthesiologists, under general anesthesia.  Cost is 9000$ + taxes.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Board-certified Plastic Surgeon, Toronto, Canada  416.929.9800  visageclinic.com  dupere@visageclinic.com

Calf implants- safe to use?

+2

Calf implants work quite well,  and one should expect the same long term  type of results that one would see with breast or cheek implants made of silicone, in my opinion.  Fat will always act as fat grafts do elsewhere as well, and fat does not maintain the firmness or size in areas that expose the fat to movement and compression as would be seen in the calves.  For this reason fat grafts often have to be repeated.   Please get several opinions before you make a decision about this .

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Calf implant

+2

Most surgeon use fat transfer to the calf for reshaping the legs. Occaisionaly calf implants are used. Like any other implant, it is associated with certain risks and complications, of which you have enumerated.Fat transfer will need several sessions ans artestry and may be more natural and no maintanance is needed.

It is not a common procedure, so you will not find someone with huge numbers. But it is the same as fat transfer anywhere.

Calf implants

+1
Calf implants are quite common.
The recovery is painful and it takes time to resume sports.
A soft implant, not too large, and a precise pocket make it unlikely - but not impossible - for an implant to displace. This is true of all implants.
Prolonged swelling - especially with the long, tapered implants is common.

If an implant shifted position, it is usually possible to correct it.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Calf Implant dislodging is not usually a problem.

+1

The implant is placed in a pocket that is made the correct size, and it usually stays in place. After a few weeks scar tissue forma arounf the implant that holds it very securely in place.

Dr. Green

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Calf Implants

+1

Calf Implants or Calf Augmentation- The placement of calf implants is a plastic surgery procedure that places a silicone implant on top of the gastrocnemius muscle of the calf to increase the size and improve definition of the inner and outer calf. I perform calf implants most commonly on patients who despite diet and exercise are unable to develop their calf muscles to a size they are comfortable with. Calf implants are also performed on patients with traumatic injuries or birth abnormalities resulting in size mismatch of the calf. In some instances, calf augmentation with fat injections can be performed for a small increase in size or in combination with calf implants.

Jaime Perez, MD