What Can Be Done About Extremely Thin Legs?

I have the skinniest legs imaginable. I am certain it is a genetic condition in my family because my dad, brother and first cousin (all males) have the same problem. I know about calf implants but my main concern is what can be done for the ankle area? Attached is a picture of my legs. Thank you.

Calf implants and ankles too

+1
You do have very thin calves.
Calf implants can be put in. They need to be small ones.

As for your ankles, a long implant can be used to fill as far down the leg as possible.
Longer implants though tend to cause a longer recovery and more swelling.

It is best to accept your ankles. People will not notice your legs as much once your calves have some shape. Best wishes.

Calf Augmentation Beverly Hills

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

GIven your anatomy, I believe you would be a good candidate for a calf augmentation. The results are natural, and will create anatomic balance to your lower extremity/calf region.  I would not recommend fat transfer to the ankle area given how thin you are. Fat transfer in this region, has a high risk of asymmetry, and in inexperienced hands, could produce unsatisfactory results. If you do choose to pursue fat transfer, I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has plenty of experience with this type of procedure.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

NOT MANY OPTIONS FOR THIN ANKLES

+1

Unfortunately there are not many options for thin ankles.

Multiple fat grafts would be an option but unless you have some deposits elsewhere, thin candidates are not candidates.

Calf implants are only good for the upper 2/3 of the calf.  They will do nothing for the lower third - where the ankle is located.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Ankle improvement

+1

Calf implants may be a good choice for you but there aren't any good options for the ankle area. Fat injections would not be helpful.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Calf implants are an excellent solution.

+1

Men and women who are self concious about their calves have usually tried everything non-invasive to solve the problem. They are usually unsuccesful in getting the calf muscles to hypertrophy with excersise.

Calf implants using solid (soft) silicone implants give a very natural result, when the implants are placed under the tough fibrous facia around the calf muscles.

The initial recovery can be uncomfortable for the first few days, and then gradually gets better.

Until I started doing this procedure I was sceptical about it, but I have found it to be a very gratifying procedure for my patients and myself. Good Luck.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Thin legs

+1

Provided you are healthy, your options are two

1: calf implants, they come in different sizes. They require maitainance.

2: Fat transfer , Will require multiple sessions to achieve the results you want.

Fat transfer in superior but need an expertise in fat injections and care especially in the lower legs.

Calf implants are a good procedure for skinny legs.

+1

Calf implants are a good way to treat skinny legs (below the knee).  They are simple to place and can even be done without general anesthesia.  I does demand about a 2 inch incision in the crease behind the knee so there is a small aesthetic trade off.  It is also easily reversed if the patient does not like the result.

Managing extremely Thin Legs

+1

i would STRONGLY advise you to take every Conservative / non surgical effort before seeking a surgical solution to your problem. Muscles form the bulk of the upper 1/3 of the leg and less on the middle 1/3. there is very little hope to increase muscle bulk in the lower 1/3 where there naturally is little muscle.  Working your legs will increase the size of the upper 1/3 of the leg.

calf implants could add volume to the upper and mid 1/3 of the leg but are not without potential serious complication. The lower 1/3 of the leg / ankle does not have a great blood supply. As such it is NOT "fat graft friendly". More importantly, injuries and infections in this area can result in serious wounds and complications. Think before you do anything in this area.