Will I Be Able to Run Marathon After Calf Augmentation?

I am a competitive runner and considering calf augmentation. Will I be able to go back to marathon running after the procedure and if yes, whenis the safest time? Also, what are the LONG-term outcomes of silicone implants? Great thanks for response!

Can I Run A Marathon After Calf Implants ?

I have not had any patients mention or discuss concerns or problems regarding their calf implants during strenuous exercise or extended running programs. I am in practice for over twenty years and perform calf augmentation routinely. 
With calf implants performed correctly and in a reasonably consevative fashion, i would say it should be no problem. Just for argument sake and theoretically speaking, if one were to place implants that were aggressive in size, or implants medially and laterally that were more than consevative, i would advise against those choices for someone who is a marathon runner. Long term outcome for properly placed, extra soft, nicely tapered calf implants are great legs !
After implant surgery, the body forms a thin layer of scar tissue around the implant, what we call a capsule. This capsule is not something you can feel but it is there holding the implant in place and in proper position. It is important to avoid strenuous activity and running before this capsule is formed to avoid malposition of the implant. I would recommend waiting for about 8 weeks to begin training / running again as this capsule takes a good 6 to 8 weeks to fully form.

Yes you will run a marathon after calf augmentation...

After Calf Augmentation surgery I tell my patients no exercise or running for 6 weeks. All of my patients have returned to their normal exercise and running programs without any issues. I have been doing Calf Augmentation surgery for over 20 years and have not seen any problems in implants that have been in for that long. The most important part of the surgery is making the pocket the right place and in the right size. This will insure your future as a marathon runner! 

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

Exercise after calf augmentation

I have had several patients who have had calf augmentation and run on a daily basis for exercise. These patients have been doing this for years without any trouble, therefore, I do'nt think that you will have an issue with doing marathons.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Marathon running after Calf Augmentation

As a marathon runner myself I can answer this question for you very objectively. Your question is very interesting because after CA we ofter tell the patients that for a couple of days after the surgery, they will feel like that they have ran a marathon. As far as after the surgery, you can expect to be walking whiteout any crutches or assistance, resume your normal running routing after 4-6 weeks and probably run a marathon in about 3 months. Long term complication are possible hardness of the implants (capsular contracture), infection, and displacement.

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Running After Calf Augmentation

You will not be able to run for about 4-6 weeks after surgery, but after you are healed you can get back into your normal routine. You should have no issues running a marathon.

Calf implants and marathon running

Calf implants should work effectively for most patients, even patients who may choose to run marathons.  Just as is true with any silicone product used anywhere in the body,  capsular thickness or firmness may develop around the implants, but this is not so common.  Six to  eight weeks after the surgery should allow you  to resume very aggressive exercising, but you should always follow the advice of your Plastic Surgeon

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Los Angeles Calf Implants

Hello and thank you for the question.

Calf augmention with silicone implants was initially reserved for patients with developmental conditions secondary to disease processes such as polio myelitis, talpes equinus, and post-traumatic atrophy.  It has subsequently additionally been employed for purely aesthetic reasons in patients with anatomically small calves. 

The silicone implants are classically placed within the deep fascia and augmentation of both the medial and lateral heads of the gastrocnemius may be performed with individual implants.  The implants do not interfere with muscular function or range of motion hence limitations to your exercise regiemens should not be an issue. In my practice, I recommend refraining from strenuous lower extremity exercise for a period of no less than 8 weeks. This timeline may vary on a case-by-case basis.

When considering a calf augmentation, always consult with a Board Ceritified Plastic Surgeon.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

You will be able to resume full physical activity 6-8 weeks after calf augmentation. 

Marathons by the 3rd month.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Running after calf implants

If running is such a passion of yours, I would not advise doing a calf implant because if anything went wrong, you might not be able to continue doing something that is very important to you.  Besides, marathoners have skinny calves!

OK to run after calf implants

Unlike breast implants, there aren't many long term studies on calf implants (as they are not as common of a procedure). However, long term problems are not common. After an appropriate recovery, you should be able to continue running Marathons.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS