What's the Best Solution for Uneven Calves After an Injury?

i had a football injury about 2 years ago to my right leg n the calf is significantly smaller than the other cuz of nerve damage n i cant build muscle back. the doctors i went to dont even offer calf implants because of the dangers with it n ive saw a lot of negative things bout fat injections.

Calf Asymmetry following Injury

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Calf asymmetry may  be treated with either Calf Implants, or Complex Fat Transfer.  The procedure selection will depend on several factors including availability of fat for transfer and type of calf deformity. These procedures are often performed in combination, especially when there is a history of marked lower extremity circumferential discrepancy, as can be seen in patients with a history of club foot deformity. In the right hands, calf implant surgery can be very safe, affording the patient predictable results with excellent cosmetic outcomes.

Without having the luxury of viewing your photos, it is difficult to make an accurate recommendation for you particular case. I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in calf implant surgery.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Treatment of uneven calves

+1
Fat injections often are disappointing in the legs.
It sounds as though a single calf implant may be all you need.
Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon near you - I have not found the surgery to be dangerous although recovery is painful. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Best Solution For Uneven Calves.....

+1
Calf implant surgery has become an increasingly popular procedure for men and women. It is not a technically difficult procedure to perform, relatively speaking and the incidence of complications are quite low compared to many common procedures. Many patients may have uneven calves from a variety of problems including club foot deformity, cerebral palsy, traumatic injuries, etc. Calf implant surgery for asymmetry is performed routinely with great success in creating symmetry in uneven legs with calf implants. Generally,  two implants are placed in the smaller leg, one medially and one laterally. This can be combined with fat grafting at the same time for blending and enhanced symmetry. Patient satisfaction with this procedure is exceedingly high. 

Sam Gershenbaum, DO

Calf implants

+1

Calf implants can offer a nice option for the patient who has a thinner, partially atrophic calf muscle.  There are two heads to the calf muscle, and sometimes only one implant will give the fullness you may desire; occasionally two implants will be needed.  Continue to seek out Plastic Surgeons who do this very rewarding operation.  You may be a candidate for this surgery.  My patients have been very pleased with the results.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Plastic Surgeon,  Tampa

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Calf Implant is Safe and excellent choice

+1

Realistically the worry about nerve injury has already happened with your accident ? If Ive read your concern correctly then your risk is actually minuscule. Solid silicone implants are a great product to correct asymmetry. There are a lot of us Board Certified  surgeons that would gladly help you with this problem. Its a very simple operation and a pretty tough recovery. Crutches for 1-2 weeks, Outcome should be outstanding.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

CALF AUGMENTATION WITH SILICONE IMPLANTS IS A GOOD OPTION

+1

The only methods to correct the size difference between your calf muscles are (assuming you want to increase the size to the larger calf):

1. calf augmentation with implants and
  2. fat grafting

Both are good options.  Fat grafting may require multiple procedures and a deposit of fat on your body.

Calf implants are the most common solution to this problem.

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Calf implants for asymmetry

+1

Without a picture, specific recommendations are hard to offer. If your asymmetry is due to muscle atrophy from nerve damage, then it is unlikely to get better after 2 years. A calf implant may be your best option.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Calf implants and Fat grafts done properly are safe

+1

Depending on the type of deformity, properly-placed soft solid silcone calf implants are a wonderful option. I have placed calf implants in many polio patients, and several patients like you (including a female orthopedic surgeon with a skiing injury to one calf), as well as cosmetic patients such as body builders over the past 20 years, and can attest to their safety and effectiveness. Not many plastic surgeons do them, as seen by the number or replies here (as compared to breast implants), and unfortunately, the response by some surgeons who do not have experience with calf implants is to just speak about potential problems. Fat grafting is also something that is possible and effective, but does indeed require several sessions, and may not give enough bulk to simulate some degree of symmetry. I have fat grafted many patients as well, but find results better with smaller defects.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Small Calf

+1

The options tou have for calf is either calf implant or fat transfer.

Each has it's own negatives and positives. Personally fat is superior however it will need multiple sittings to achieve symmetry. Calf implants like any other implants have their own risks and the fact that the need maitainance.

Consult a Board certified Plastic surgeon and discuss your options, as well as the pros and cons of each method.

Calf implants to restore symmetry

+1

I have seen several patients in my practice who have suffered injury to their lower leg in their youth, with resultant muscle wasting and subsequent asymmetry of their calves. 

Silicone calf implants are an excellent option to restore symmetry. The procedure is quick and recovery is reasonably short.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon