What is the Timetable for Recovery from Sensory Nerve Damage Due to Chin Implant?

6 months ago, I had chin implant surgery. A week after surgery my right mental nerve became paralyzed due to excessive swelling/inflamm. The sensation gradually started to return but 2 days ago it was removed due to uncomfortableness and the sensation on my lip not fully coming back. Now that it's out, the sensation has slightly improved but my lip is still sensitive upon touch and I feel odd sensations on my right cheek when chewing.Now that it's out, will and when my symptoms improve? Thanks.

Numbness after a chin implant

+2

This is likely a neurpraxia and should return in 3-6 months.  Sometimes you will have a "wierd" sensation where it's not numb but not yet normal that can last 12-18 months.  With your description, it seems pretty safe to say that it should return.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Nerve Injury Timetable

+1

Complications and side effects are very uncommon with chin augmentation of which the most likely side effect is altered sensation in the chin and lower jaw, called neuropraxia, which may be temporary or permanent depending on the extent of the surgery. Typically this resolves within several months to a year. The wierd sypmtoms you described may actually be sign that your nerves are knitting back together. I suspect you will have a full recovery.A plastic surgeon will be able to tell you if you are at particular risk for this type of side effect at time of consultation.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Sensory nerve recovery after injury

+1

The facts that your sensory defect began well after your surgery, was subtotal, and has shown some signs of (incomplete) improvement all suggest that your nerve is not cut, and you can likely expect full recovery over a 1-2 year window.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant nerve damage

+1

There are two possibilities that you lost sensation after insertion of chin implant

1: Actual nerve (mental nerve) damage. If the nerve is cut totally or partialy, the sensation and nerve function will not come back.

2: the nerve could be injured due to pressure of the implant on the nerve. in that case it may take several month for the nerve function to come back after removal of the implant and the pressure. sensation may come back fully or partially.