Chin Implant and Laser Resurfacing?

I had a chin implant placed approximately 9 years ago. I am not sure if it is silicone or not. I went for a consultation today for the Starlux Luminar, on my face, for fine lines. I was told I am not a candidate because of the chin implant. Is this accurate? If the implant were made of something other than silicone would the resurfacing be safe?

Previous chin implant does not contraindicate laser resurfacing (any implant, any laser).

+2

A previously-placed chin implant with a well-healed mature scar is significantly deeper than even the most aggressive laser treatment. Chin implants are beneath the skin, fat, muscle, and usually periosteum. Laser resurfacing will cause scarring if any deeper than the mid-dermis (within the skin itself), so there is absolutely no reason for this laser practitioner to tell you this unless it is simply an excuse to not recommend laser surgery.

There may be other (unspoken) reasons to not recommend laser surgery, but it sounds as if you are not even seeing a physician or someone experienced in laser surgery. What you were told is simply untrue, regardless of implant composition, or laser being utilized. Stay away from this person!

I'd recommend seeing a physician who has extensive experience in laser surgery (plastic surgeon or dermatologist) rather than looking for a specific laser device. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Not A Contraindication to Laser Resurfacing

+2
Fortunately, the information you were given is not accurate.  A chin implant is not a contraindication to laser resurfacing of any kind.  If you are an apporpriate candidate for laser resurfacing, you should felel comfortable moving forward.  Good luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing Can be Done With An Existing Chin Implant

+2

That is not an accurate answer. Laser resurfacing can be done with no harm whatsoever to the indwelling chin implant. Having a chin implant also does not alter the effectiveness of the laser for the skin resurfacing part either. This is true regardless of whether the treatment is laser resurfacing,  or any other device that has deeper penetrating energies. (e.g., radiofrequency)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Laser over chin implant is no problem

+2

We laser over chin implants with different lasers all the time. The lasers dont go deep enough to damage the implant. i would get another opinion from an experienced laser practitioner.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and laser resurfacing

+2

Different physicians may have different opinions as to performing laser procedures for the skin when a chin implant is in place.  Personally, I do not think that there would be an issue.  The chin implant is normally placed on top of the bone under the skin and other subcutaneous tissue.  The laser treatment on the skin would normally not go deep enough to reach the level of the implant.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Laser Resurfacing

+1

With a silicone implant below the periosteum, laser to the level of the dermis should not transmit energy to the level of the implant.