Would a Chin Implant Make Me Look More Masculine? (photo)

Hi, I was wondering what would be the best way to improve my profile and general balance of my face. I think I have a receding chin which makes my cheeks look chubby as well. I am also thinking a lower blepharoplasty would significantly improve my profile but I'm more bothered by the lower 1/3 of my face which I feel looks weak and feminine. Also, would it be possible to add a cleft to my chin in the process? Thanks.

You are a very good candidate for a chin implant

+2

Looking at your profile I notice that the point of your chin is markedly behind a line dropped from the front of your lower lip. Your profile would be much better and your nose would look smaller if you had an extended chin implant.

You should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a complete evaluation. If your teeth are not aligned and your jaw is short you may be better with a jaw advancement. If you have had braces and your teeth have been moved to correct your bite then it would still be better to do a chin implant.  

Chin implant for more masculine look

+1

A small to medium silastic chin implant would give the appearance of a more masculine chin profile and give the appearance of better facial balance.  The chin implant procedure is performed under local anesthesia in the office surgery center.  The placement of the incision is in the submental approach and the silastic implant is placed directly over the bone to give the needed augmentation.

Chin Augmentation for Men

+1

A wide variety of facial implants are currently available for the enhancement of the skeletal elements of facial aesthetics. The most commonly used facial implants are used to enhance the profile of the chin and the cheeks. Facial implants very widely not only in shape and style, but also in terms of the materials from which they are fabricated.

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat grafting.

The only setting in which I currently use a solid facial implant is for chin implant augmentation. Some patients with a 'weak' chin profile can be adequately improved by structural fat grafting alone. However, when the chin protrusion needs to be enhanced by a half centimeter or more, a chin implant is absolutely required. I prefer to use a soft, flexible, anatomic chin implant that conservatively enhances the anterior projection of the chin in profile. The chin implant is placed through an incision hidden underneath the chin, an area where many people already have a scar from a fall in childhood.

Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Would Help

+1

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  You are a good candidate for chin augmentation.  It will help to masculinize the lower third of your face. It is difficult to evaluate the lower eyelids given the photos provided. Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Masculinbe chin implant

+1

On a male with a hypoplastic mentum ( commonly referred to as a receding chin). an extended anatomical chin implant is a fantastic operation. Balance, harmony and masculinity can be easily defined for most patients. The best part is that in my office the placement of an extended anatomical chin implant is done with an oral Valium and simple local anesthesia of Xylocaine. The proceedure takes about 20 minutes and is painless. After 3 or 4 days most swelling is gone and you look great. I have done over 800 chin implants in the past 20 years. The complication rate for this excellent operation is almost 0 % and implants last a lifertime without any concern. A surgeon with video imaging can easily show you your expected results.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and Jawline Augmentation For A More Masculine Appearance

+1

Your facial profile definitely shows that chin augmentation, and possible jaw angle augmentation, would dramatically change your lower face to a stronger more masculine appearance. Whether your chin enhancement should be done by an implant or an osteotomy is matter of debate and there are advantages and disadvantages to either approach. A chin cleft can be made, whether it is an implant or an osteotomy, although most internally-made chin clefts end up more as a hint of cleft rather than a deeper grrove. You definitely need computer imaging to see how strong of a chin you want and whether the simultaneous placement of jaw angle implants can benefit your male jawline enhancement. You may feel free to send your pictures to the link below to get some imaging done.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant could help

+1

Looking at your photos it does appear that a chin implant would improve your profile. Chin implants rarely change your front view. You should consult with an experienced surgeon who will able to explain the changes.

Deidra Blanks, MD
Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant improves facial aesthetics

+1

The goal of a chin augmentation is to add balance to the face.  The pictures you sent are a great help.  Thank you.  In looking at the photos you do show a lack of projection which would be improved by adding an anatomical or extended chin implant.  This could alsop be done by doing a chin advancement which involves cutting the bone and moving it forward.  I would see a plastic surgeon and have some computer imaging done to see if this will improve the way you see yourself and then discuss your options.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

From your photos, it appears you would benefit from a chin implant. A chin implant can enhance the jawline and improve the appearance of the profile. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who uses computer imaging software. He/she may morph a photo which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant

+1

You appear to be a good candidate for a chin implant. There are  implants that are designed to give some semblance of a cleft. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon