Chin Augmentation with Implant Vs. Filler?

If you are a good candidate for a small chin implant are you also a good candidate for chin augmentation with a filler, or are there some people who have a chin shape which is not suitable for augmentation with a filler, for example if you have a mentolabial sulcus which would look worse if a filler was used, but would not look worse if an implant was used?

Chin augmentation with implant or filler?

+2

A “temporary chin implant” with filler allows the patient to see what a chin implant might look like prior to taking the plunge for a permanent implant. Whether or not the patient is a candidate for a chin augmentation with filler depends on their individual circumstances, and during an exam your surgeon can determine what the best option is for you. In general, the best result is obtained with a surgical implant. From here, I would recommend a consult with an experienced board certified surgeon. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Chin augmentation with implant

+1

We do not recommend fillers for the chin. A small or medium sized silastic chin implant is placed through a submental incision and placed directly onto the chin bone, under local anesthesia and gives a permanent augmentation to the chin area.  Fillers in the chin area give to give the chin augmentation are not FDA approved and not recommended.

Both Chin Implant & Filler Good Options

+1
Thank you for your question. Fillers are a good option for a relatively cost effective way to address a weak chin.  It is temporary, but allows for correction of issues like a deep sulcus.  Implants are a good permanent option.  There is some limitation in addressing the sulcus when using an implant.  For subtle augmenation, both options should work well.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Chin Augmentation may be considered, depending on your condition.

+1

The "gold-standard" for chin augmentation remains rubberized silicone implants. They have a long track record of safety, and Chin Implant Surgery typically has downtime less than one week.

I have had the opportunity to perform non-surgical chin augmentation with Silikon-1000, over the last 3 years, with good outcomes and high patient satisfaction. An advantage of an "injectable chin implant", is that you can have volume added to select areas that may benefit, like the groove between your chin and jowl. 2-3 treatments have been necessary to obtain a desired result.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation with Fillers or Implant

+1

I strongly suggest suggest that your treat your weak chin with a solid silicone implant that will last a lifetime. If you choose fillers I recommend that you augment with fat, not temporary fillers.

The Differing Roles of Filler and Implants for Chin Augmentation

+1

Fillers and implants do not play the same role in chin augmentation. Fillers are used to see the potential effects of what some form of augmentation may do and are used when the patient is in doubt if they want an implant at all. An implant is used when the patient is seeking a permanent chin augmentation effect. Neither filler or an implant will positively effect a deep labiomental sulcus by chin augmentation although it can be softened by direct injection and implantation into the fold itself.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin filler vs implants

+1

Filler in the chin is a good option to "test the waters" and see if chin augmentation is a good option for you, as it is non-permanent but can give you a very similar result.

Alternatively, if you wish to avoid an implant, fat injections in the chin or a chin advancement are more permanent options that avoid the use of an implant.

Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

+1

Both are good options. A chin implant is a surgical procedure but provides permanent improvement. Filler can be performed in the office but will likely only last about 12 months. I've found that Radiesse filler treatment of the chin and cheeks looks and feels very similar to a facial implant. Therefore, it is a great option for someone who doesn't want surgery or wants to try out the look before proceeding with surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation Implant vs. Filler

+1

Dear Kenny,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding chin augmentation. The majority of chin augmentations that I do in my office are done with an implant. This allows a nice projection aligning your facial features aesthetically together. While some augmentations may be done with fillers most patients prefer to have an implant  as it is a fairly simple procedure with minimal downtime and recovery. The cost of doing fillers can add up quickly and does not always give the same projection needed for the best desired results. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD