Why is the Skin on my Breasts and my Nipples So Tender After my Breast Augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation 2 weeks ago. (Inframammary incision, sub glandular, silicone, 375cc) They look great and soreness is minimal but my skin is tender and my nipples hurt. It feels like the pain in when you are first starting to nurse a baby. I hate to touch them because it almost burns but I have to in order to do my exercises. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Is it from the stretching? How long will this last? Help!

Nipple and skin sensitivity after breast augmentation

+2

The nerve to your nipple is the 4th intercostal nerve. It is a unique nerve supplying sensual sensation. The remainder of your skin is supplied by standard sensory nerves. However all nerves are simply living electrical wires and these living "wires" have insulation around them called myelin. This myelin layer can often disappear if it is stretched or traumatized, which can be expected after breast augmentation. Sometimes this change in the insulation layer can cause decreased sensation(numbness), but often it causes hypersensitivity. (increased sensitivity) These nerves with no insulation resemble  "raw wires" which can explain this hypersensitivity. 

Fortunately any decreased or increased sensation will usually normalize fairly quickly over the first few weeks as the myelin layer returns. 

Hypersensitivity after breast implants not uncommon

+2

Nipples may be very sensitive after breast augmentation through any of the available incisions.

Nipple sensitivity after BA is due to the nerves stretching around the implant.  It is a temporary condition.  In my practice:

1. Nipple sensitivity is more common in young women who are a B cup and increase by approximately one cup
  2. It is most likely to resolve within two months
  3. Can be improved with a short course of anti-inflammatory meds and high dose vitamin E
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity After Breast Augmentation?

+2

Yes, hypersensitive nipples and/or are quite common and usually temporarily  so after  breast augmentation surgery. Usually this persists  for the first  2 to 3 months and then subsides.  it is a good sign that the nerves are functioning and that you will most likely have normal sensation

More commonly, in  approximately  5% of patients, there will be hypo sensitivity of the nipples that may be permanent. This is seen regardless of the incision used to perform the breast augmentation procedure and is related to involvement of the 4th intercostal nerve.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Augmentation

+1

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation is very common. This is caused by the stretching of nerves supplying the nipples.  This will usually resolve within several months as the swelling diminishes. Wearing a thin shirt or nursing pads under your bra can provide some relief.

Web reference: http://farberplasticsurgery.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tenderness after breast augmentation

+1

Uusally two weeks after breast augmetnation surgery, patient's can have some hypersensitivity as the swelling goes down and the sensory nerves get back to normal.  If the breast is very red then that could be a sign of infection and cause sensitivity as well.

+1

Your tenderness is due to your sensory nerves recovering from the surgical procedure.

It seems that very few women are at all concerned about loss of sensation after surgery, but most will complain if they have hypersensitivity.

This is what you need to do: find the areas that are the most sensitive and rub frequently. Pinch your nipples if they are sore. While this is very unpleasant at first, you will find that the discomfort rapidly diminishes PROVIDED that you do these exercises frequently throughout the day.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Nipple hypersensitivity is common after breast augmentation

+1

Studies have shown that loss of sensation to the nipples happens in about %15 of breast augmentation procedures but hypersensitivity is more common than that.  It is felt to be due to pressure or stretching of the nerves that provide sensation to the  nipples either from the implants themselves or due to minor injury to the nerves during surgery.  In the majority of cases, it resolves on its own over time and there isn't much that can be done to speed up the process.  Some patients find it helpful to cover their nipples with a greasy ointment such as an antibiotic ointment and a band aid during the day so their clothes don't rub on them.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Skin sensitivity after breast augmentation

+1

Many will experience hypersensitivity of the nipple or breast skin early after breast augmentation due to the stretch and irritation of the breast tissue and nerves within. Good support will reduce the irritation, and gentle massage of the skin and nipple may reduce the discomfort as the tissue recovers. The issue passes the first month or two.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Burning pain after BA

+1

This type of pain is frequent and will go away. It can last about 2-3 months and your nipples may be extra sensitive. Wear a small bandage over your nipples to keep them from getting rubbed and sometimes a soft cotton T-shirt helps. it's just because the nerves have been stretched and they take a while to recover.

Increased Nipple Sensation after Breast Augmentation

+1

Approximately 10% of women experience increased nipple or breast sensation after Breast Augmentation. This normally resolves after 2-6 months but can be permanent.

Gentle massage can be helpful. If it worsens check with your Surgeon.

Thx,

MW

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon