Does a Bra Prevent the Breasts from Moving Outward Making the Breasts Further Apart

does a bra prevent the breasts from moving outward making the gap larger in the center? Also, my implants are protruding on my sides, will they change? I am three weeks post op.

Using a Bra to Maintain Implant Position

+1

Immediately after surgery, a bra can help support implants and keep them from falling too low, but typically the amount of lateral dissection at the time of surgery is the main determinant in how far to the sides the implants go. That being said, the law of gravity does still apply and when you lay on your back, your breasts naturally fall to  the sides because of the curvature of your chest-over time, with big implants, this can lead to the breast and implants moving even more sideways.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Bras and proper placement of the implants

+1

There are a number of reasons why your breasts may be bulging to the sides.  The most likely right now is still swelling.  The size of the implant in relationship to your chest is another.  If the pocket was made too large this could cause it.  Wearing a bra will not change the position of the implant if the pocket was made correctly, but the muscle can push it to the side if used too strenuously.  I allow my patients to sleep on their side to counteract the force of their muscles (and because it's hard to sleep on your back all the time).  Good support is usually more comfortable during the first few weeks after surgery.  As the swelling comes down over several months your breasts will look narrower and have more projection.  Just give it time.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Bra can hurt breast augmentation results if improperly fitted

+1

After the implants have been properly placed in the breast pocket, the bra is an accessory that can keep them in the proper place if it has been correctly fitted.

If the band size of the bra is too large for the woman's chest, the distance between the two cups will be too wide, and the bra will tend to pull the two breasts apart.  If this kind of bra is worn extensively after breast surgery, it can permanently affect the outcome, making the breasts wider and increasing the gap in the cleavage.

Proper bra fitting is extremely important for the preservation of the surgical outcome and the longevity of the augmentation results.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bras after breast implants

+1

Ideally the implant and pocket is well centered in the breast and the implant should come to fit hand in glove and move and feel as the breast is one. We use a soft conforming bar and band the first two weeks, day and night, and encourage the similar bra the first eight weeks as the implant and breast tissue settles together. If you are early in healing a bra may help center the implant if the pocket is too far to the side, however after things may not be influenced by a support bra.

peterejohnsonmd

Bra and surgery

+1

The bra itsels gives some support, but it will not make the implants stay centrally. Often this is related to how the pocket was created.

Keeping Your Breasts Centered

+1

The best way to keep breast implants in the proper position is by what is done during surgery. Also, your anatomy can have an effect on where the implants should be placed. Without photos, this is only speculation. Using a bra can help in allowing what was done in surgery to heal properly, but a bra will not correct for implants placed too far to the side. Look at photos of your breasts before and after surgery, if your nipples were far apart before surgery, then this is likely anatomy.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Use of bra after breast surgery

+1

Using a well-supporting sports bra for the first few months not only provides comfort, I believe they help the breasts settle better. It will be difficult to answer your particular questions without photos/knowing the size of your breasts and implants. However they are unlikely to cause any harm - so I would suggest continuing use.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Bra after Breast surgery

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to give you good advice. However, at the stage in your recovery it is much too early  to judge what the final results of your breast surgery will be. I would suggest continued compliance with your plastic surgeon  regarding bra use.  in my practice I do like to use a supportive/soft  bra for the first 2 months  after surgery.