What Are the Effects if I Keep Wearing my Sports Bra After Breast Augmentation?

I am 2 weeks post op from breast augmentation. I was told I can wear any bra I'd like as long as its underwire free. I would like to know what the effects would be if I keep wearing the sports bra?

Here are some ill effects of wearing a sports bra after breast augmentation.

+4

All of my colleagues have given answers that are thoughtful and informative, but they all seem to lack information about one problem I have seen in a few of my patients who wear a sports bra "too much" after surgery. I would define "too much" as most of the day and night, as in some patients who tell me when I ask them to remain braless during the day (when not exercising, jogging, etc.) and they respond with "But I HAVE to wear a bra!" Some patients are apparently raised that wearing a bra is essential for feminine modesty, and they feel so uncovered or psychologically "wrong" about being braless, they would actually violate my recommendation rather than go without a brassiere.

The problem, however, is that the breast pocket is created surgically to be centered beneath the nipple/areola complex, and the chest in cross-section is an oval, with the breasts actually "pointing" slightly to the sides. In other words, the chest is not flat facing forward with the nipple/areola complexes pointing straight ahead. Yet a snug (non-cup) elastic sports or jog bra compresses the breasts inward, pushing the implants together in the midline, stretching and perhaps tearing a few of the fibers that connect the pockets to the breast bone centrally, and potentially creating or worsening symmastia (unaboob). The not-yet-healed pocket laterally can close down and seal shut, malpositioning the implants too far to the center. If worn too much and too long, this malposition and potential symmastia can become permanent.

And surgery is the only way to correct this when it occurs.

The only way to avoid this unfortunate turn of events is to advise patients that until their breast pockets have healed completely, they should NOT wear any sports or stretch bra day and night, and in fact should probably go braless for a part of each day. I also have my patients move their implants in the surgically-created pocket to keep the capsule from becoming the exact same size as the implants. This allows the pockets to stay slightly larger than the implants, minimizing capsular contracture and enhancing softness and natural movement. Some surgeons feel implant movement exercises are not necessary, since there is always some movement of the implants, and if submuscular, the normal contraction of the muscles "massage" and move the implants "enough." Perhaps true, but I like to ensure the pockets stay open and the breast softness and movement "natural."

Like most of my colleagues, I advise no underwire bra until 3 weeks after surgery, or until the (crease) incision is not irritated by the wire. (Surgeons who use other incisions may not have this requirement).

Bottom line: ask your surgeon what his or her recommendation is (and perhaps why), since most of us have given this much thought and have actual reasons why we recommend what we do! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sports Bra after breast augmentation

+2

I recommend to my patients that they do not wear an underwire bra for four weeks after surgery. The reason is so the breasts can drop and settle.  After the first month you may wear any bra you would like.  Bras of any sort are always a good thing because breast augmentation does not defy gravity.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Sports bra after BA

+2

Different surgeons have different recommendations for wearing bras after breast surgery. Sometimes it depends on what was does done.  Also breasts respond differently to the implants. Some stretch easily while others are tighter. One size does not fit all. You should ask your surgeon what is right for you.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+2

There  should be no problem wearing a sports bra after breast augmentation;  if you have specific concerns best to check with your plastic surgeon.

Sport bra? underwire?

+1
Dear Aet,
Thank you for your post.  I do not believe in not wearing an underwire bra after augmentation or lift, and actually recommend it.  I do not feel like it causes a problem with the incisions as long as they are taped and the bra fits well.  I am very protective of my patients with augmentations who are runners. I recommend that they buy the athleta underwire sports bra with the front adjustable straps. My patients really like this bra for running and find that it holds them very stable. It is cupped instead of compressing the breasts together. Some patients use an additional regular sports bra on top of this for extra security. Some like it for everyday wear in the initial post-operative period. Using a regular sports bra that just compresses the breast together rather than cups that keep their shape can cause flattening of the breasts especially in the early post operative period and wearing a bra that doesn't have enough support, especially when running or any bouncing type activity, can cause bottoming out or stretching of the breasts.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra

+1

I am unaware of any negative effect of continuing to wear a sports bra. I usually have my patients wear something for 4 weeks

Michael Hueneke, MD

Sports bra and breast augmentation

+1

I am not sure that a bra really does anything.  It depends upon the procedure performed. But some surgeons do not even use bras after surgery.

Wear a bra

+1

I recommend a supportive bra, preferable with an underwire for my patients because it offers more support.  Underwire or not, I think a bra with cups supports the shape of the breast.  Wearing a sports bra in place of a regular bra with cups may distort the shape of the breast because a sports bra is designed to be compressive.  The "compressed" look is not the shape we want after surgery.  I tell my patients it is OK to wear a sports bra when running or exercising but not in place a regular bra.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra can be worn indefinitely after breast augmentation.

+1

Most surgeons provide the patient with a support bra at the time of breast augmentation for comfort and to help immobilize the surgically violated tissue.  After 2 weeks a breast is probably therapeutically unnecessary but many patients wear them for comfort.  I don't think the type of bra makes a difference provided the bottom of the bra does not traumatize the incision if that incision is in the crease below the breast.

Wearing a bra after augmentation

+1

The scar around your implant will be affected by pressure or lack of it.  I tell patients that you support a fractured bone until it is well healed when a scar forms around the fracture.  If you support the implant to an abnormal place while it is healing, the scar (or capsule) will form in that same abnormal place.  If on the other hand you are just supporting the actual breast tissue, and not the breast implant, then there should not be problems with forming the capsule in the wrong place.  I have unfortunately seen many patients that said that they had high riding implants that on revision I noticed that the scar in the lower portion of the breast had healed up, and after talking to the patient I concluded this was from the use of push up bras in the healing phase. This has some controversy with plastic surgeons however, but has worked will for me in my 24 years of practice.   You should talk to your own Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for their input.

Dan Mills, MD