I Am 5 Weeks Post Op Breast Augmentation, And Have Had Severe Pain Since. What's The Cause? (photo)

I had severe pain on my left breast that was caused by the stretching of the nerves, inflammation around the nerves, and swelling. I was prescribe to take steroids which alleviate most of the pain but I currently still feel that my left breast is still very sensitive (more pain and swelling) when I move minimal such as driving or washing dishes. When I rise up from my sleep, I can feel a some pain when the implant is moving downards. Could I Have hematoma? I am afraid to have capsular contracter

Should I Still Have Pain Five Weeks After A Breast Augmentation?

+1

Every surgery if different, every person's perception of pain is different, but severe pain five weeks after a breast augmentation is incredibly unusual in my experience.  You need to see your plastic surgeon and have a complete evaluation.  If the pain doesn't subside in the next couple of weeks, a referral to a pain management specialist might be appropriate.  Pain always subsides and things always get better, but you shouldn't have to suffer until things get better.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Pain several weeks after breast augmentation

+1

I believe that it is a bit unusual for you to have severe pain 5 weeks after breast augmentation surgery and I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon. Certainly, discomfort and tenderness are not uncommon at this point in your post operative course, but severe pain should be evaluated.

Web reference: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=www.gayosoplasticsurgery.com&gbv=2&oq=www.gayosoplasticsurgery.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Sonogram will detect hematoma after breast implants.

+1

Hi..

Where is your surgeon?  You should not have significant pain now.  You need a good physical exam and a sonogram.  It could be nothing but you need to make sure.

Pain with breast augmentation

+1

It is a bit unusual for patients to have pain from breast augmentation at 5 weeks after surgery. It can be from spasm of the muscle, and stretchng in general.  But there are other causes as well.  An exam with your doctor is probably necessary.

Pain

+1

In some situations I have offered a combination of neurontin (settles hyperactive nerves) and elavil. This combination is often used for over excited nerves such as carpal tunnel syndrome or chronic pain syndromes. It has worked well for me in the past.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric pain is common after breast augmentation

+1

Pain that is greater on one side than the other is very common after breast augmentation surgery.  Uneven swelling and shape are frequently seen, as well, at this point in healing.

The pain symptoms that you describe are not rare.  Usually, they get better with time, but sometimes require the use of medications or additional surgery.

We do not really know for sure what causes pain symptoms.  Common explainations include:

• stretching of the nerves
  • inflamation around the nerves
  • direct damage to or trauma of the nerves
  • scar tissue around the nerves
  • infection
  • hematoma
  • capsular contracture

Based on your story and photo, infection, hematoma and capsular contracture seem less likely.

Keep in contact with your surgeon and let them know if you are not getting better or are getting worse.  Give it time and good luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

I have had a very few women who had breast implants with pain out at 5 weeks or longer, and it is usually due to nerves being stretched, causing a sharp stinging pain which shoots to the shoulder blade. Over time it should improve.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

5 weeks post op breast augmentation

+1

Most people will experience a difference in pain and or swelling after surgery when comparing the right and left sides. This is perfectly normal even at 5 weeks.  You photos demonstrate mild swelling on both sides and it appears as if the left side may be starting to settle.  Be patient and discuss your concerns with your doctor,  Good luck

Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I do not see any evidence of hematoma in your picture.

It would be in your best interest to be examined carefully  by your plastic surgeon;  he/she is in the best position to help you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm