Air in Chest Cavity After Augmentation, Should I Be Concerned?

I am 17 days post-op. I noticed it immediately after surgery but assumed it would be absorbed or something to that effect. Now I have begun to massage my breasts and realize it is still there. I can feel it and it makes a noise when it moves around.

+1

Most definitely, if the air is truly in the chest cavity. You would only know this by having an x-ray or someone listening to your chest with a stethoscope. You probably have air in the breast cavity, which is entirely different. It is normal for there to be some air and crunchiness for the first few weeks. Do not worry. This will subside with time. Good luck.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Subcutaneous air

+1

Subcutaneous air occurs during the pocket dissection. This small amount of air is usually absorbed in a few weeks.

Don't be concerned with air bubbles

+1

The sound and sensation of air bubbles around breast implants is common following breast augmentation.  The sensations go away by themselves, but it can take a little time.

Tell you doctor about it when you go in for follow-up, or call if you feel like it is getting worse.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Air after aug

+1

give it time.  many people hear a sloshing sound or some crunchiness after augmentation. it will go away  . be patient.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Air bubbles in chest region after breast augmentation surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to feel what my patients sometimes call 'crunching noises' around their breast region after breast augmentation. This is from the surgical procedure and is harmless and will correct itself over several weeks after surgery. Be sure to follow-up with your surgeon and point this out if it persists.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

+1

Air in the tissue that you can feel, like crackling bubbles, is common and resolves slowly over time.  Unless you are short of breath, I would accept this as normal.  Air in the pocket around the implant can cause strange noises. This is also common and will resolve over time.....not to worry.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz 

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Air bubble after breast augmentation

+1

It is possible that a small amount of air is trapped inside the saline breast implant after your augmentation, and is will disappear over time. Air around implants will stay only a very few days before it dissolves into the tissue.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

It will be resolved by itself,but you need to see your surgeon

+1

I agree with Dr. Pousti . I would recommend follow up with your surgeon. It is very common to hear a rubbing noise.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Air in Chest after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes, what you are experiencing is quite common after breast augmentation surgery.  Air  “bubbles” can be trapped in the soft tissues (crepitus)  or around the breast implant ( creating entertaining noises). You will find that this does resorb  and you should be “noise free” within a few weeks.