Incision Not Healing 4 Weeks Post Op After Breast Lift with Augmentation, What To Do?

Three weeks Post-Op I noticed light yellow spots in my bra coming from the juncture of my lollipop incision at the bottom. Now at 4 weeks Post-Op My bra irritates the spot and it continues to drain it. The tape in this area was loose because of the wetness. Today I removed the tape and placed a bit of antibiotic ointment on it and covered it with a bandage. This spot is approximately 3-5mm in size. Is this something that will resolve itself? My PS is in another state and it is a holiday weekend.

Breast Augmentation - Incision Not Healing 4 Weeks Post Op After Breast Lift with Augmentation

+2

It's actually pretty common to have issues like this with this procedure (breast lift with implants) which, as has been regularly noted, is one of the more complicated and potentially risky procedures.  Having a spot at that site that is oozing small amounts of liquid is most likely a small issue.

However, you absolutely cannot take that for granted and leave it unassessed.  You need to contact your PS and have him or her look at it, and at the way your breasts are healing.  There will probably not be much to do aside from continued local wound care and monitoring your recovery.  But that's a decision that should be made by your surgeon, not an online forum.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Drainage 1 month after a mastopexy is uncommon but does occur. See your surgeon.

+2

Wound issues are dealt with by surgeons commonly.  Most of the time they resolve with minor skin care.  With an implant, the possibility of an open wound serving as a port for bacteria makes the condition more precarious.  You should see your surgeon to make sure the wound problem is superficial and does not involve the implant.

Incision Not Healing after Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy?

+2

Unfortunately,  incision line healing issues do occur after breast augmentation/mastopexy surgery. Most of the time these go on to heal without any further intervention necessary. The reason why ( as plastic surgeons)  we are concerned is that there is an underlying implant in place and their existing potential for implant exposure and/or infection.

Even though you are out-of-state, I would suggest that you communicate with your plastic surgeon (for example e-mail pictures to him/her).  He/she will be able to provide specific guidance.

Until you do so, your management seems appropriate ( keep the area covered with nonstick sterile dressings and prevent contamination).

Healing

+1
Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Incision and healing

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say but with drainage for 3-4 weeks that is a bit worrisome especially with an implant. You should follow closely with your surgeon.  

Drainage from incision

+1

I would recommend you get the incision checked by a plastic surgeon. It may be a minor issue, just needing hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment and will heal quickly. but when an implant is underneath the incision I recommend getting the wound checked promptly to rule out a problem that may end up involving the implant. see your surgeon or a surgeon, don't postpone the visit.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon