What is the difference between Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma?

I am getting Juverderm Voluma. Even though I hear Restylane is better for the lips, can Juverderm Voluma be injected in the lips? Thank you.

Difference between Juvederm and Voluma

Great question. Voluma is the newest addition to the Juvederm family. The complete name is Juvederm Voluma XC, which can make it difficult to differentiate from Juvederm XC. 

They are both HA's fillers. 

Voluma is a thicker filler and is best injected into the a DEEP plane. Works great to restore lost volume in the cheek/midface area.

Juvederm XC has a lower G' prime (less thick), and is better for the perioral region and lips.

Hope this was helpful/ Good luck!

Difference Between Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm is a softer hyaluronic acid filler that is used primarily in the perioral and lip area. It is excellent in this area and should not be used in the tear trough area as it can provide too much volume in this area. Voluma is a deeper volumizing hyaluronic acid filler that is used primarily in the malar areas and has excellent results. Both are FDA approved, long-lasting fillers that are safe and reversible. These fillers should be injected by someone with expertise in Filling such as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, or Otolaryngologist, Oculoplastic surgeon with expertise because placing the filler in the right area and depth with the right amount is key to optimizing results and safety.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Juvederm vs. Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma™ XC is specially formulated to add volume to cheeks. Voluma is a Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler that is FDA-approved specifically for deep injection in the cheek area to correct the loss of volume that comes with aging. To augment lips and achieve greater symmetry and definition, injections of Juvéderm® XC are the appropriate treatment. The two fillers are not the same and they cannot be used interchangeably. Additionally, Juvéderm® XC is excellent for plumping out nasolabial folds (from nose to mouth) and softening marionette lines (from mouth to chin).

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Voluma is thicker than Juvederm, but not recommended for lips

The difference between Juvederm and Voluma is that Voluma is a thicker, longer lasting product that is typically placed in deep tissue planes to correct areas of significant volume loss such as the cheeks. Voluma is not recommended for lips. On the other hand, Juvederm is a slightly thinner product that is excellent for lip volumization.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler. The biggest side effects have been bruising and swelling which may last a couple of days or up to a couple weeks.  Voluma is not indicated for the lips.

Hyaluronic Fillers.

Juvederm and Voluma are both Hyaluronic acid fillers, the difference between the two is based on how closely bound the hyaluronic acid molecules are in each product. Juvederm is a more loosely bound product, is softer and thinner, and this feature makes it great for treating undereyes, lips, and finer lines around the mouth/marionettes etc. Voluma a thicker product, has a better ability to lift and volumize, we use this for areas like the cheeks and temples, sometimes the nasolabial folds, it helps to elevate depressions because of these properties. Voluma would be too thick for undereyes, or delicate areas like the lips, it would result in a very firm and possibly unsmooth finished look.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm voluma is too firm for lips

Juvederm Voluma is a thick product that is designed to lift overlying structures.  It would feel too firm in the lip.  

Juvederm ultra is a softer product that is very good for creating more volume in the lips.  I also like Restylane for enhancing the lips.  

Finally, I particularly like Restylane silk as a very soft product that can help with the fine lines and wrinkles on the lips (or anywhere else).   

Trust your injector to choose the correct product for your face and your goals.  Enhancing the lips of a fifty year old is a different challenge than enhancing the lips of a twenty year old.  An experienced injector will be able to guide you.

Voluma in lips

Juvederm Voluma has been FDA approved for the midface or cheek area. Due to the lifting effect of the product it is best used in the cheek to resolve sagging of the skin.  Lips on the other hand require volume or shaping and therefore other products would provide better results. These would include juvederm ultra, ultra plus or restylane.

Chooses of Juvederm

All of the Juvederm products are excellent chooses for erasing the signs of aging, loss of volume and enhancing lips and moderate lines.  Since Voluma is a denser hyaluronic acid , it is best used to lift sagging faces and to add volume to mid faces and jawlines.  Juvederm Ultra creates a soft enhancement for lips and lip lines and the Juvederm Ultra Plus is best used for moderate creases  such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines ( downturned smile lines)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Juvederm vs. Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma is the newest member of the Juvederm family that has recently been FDA approved to inject deep into the cheek hollows to help restore volume. It is a very thick product (much thicker than the other Juvederm products) and therefore is best used in a larger area like the midface. I prefer to use Juvederm Ultra for lip injections. It offers just the right amount of plumpness and allows for very precise injecting. I always aim for the most natural results which is especially important with lip injections. I think that Voluma is an excellent product and use it regularly, but not in the lip area. Remember to consult with a board certified physician so that they can assess you and make the best recommendation to meet your specific needs.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD