What is the difference between Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma?

I am getting Juverderm Voluma. Even though I hear Restylane is better for the lips, can Juverderm Voluma be injected in the lips? Thank you.

Difference Between Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm is a softer hyaluronic acid filler that is used primarily in the perioral and lip area. It is excellent in this area and should not be used in the tear trough area as it can provide too much volume in this area. Voluma is a deeper volumizing hyaluronic acid filler that is used primarily in the malar areas and has excellent results. Both are FDA approved, long-lasting fillers that are safe and reversible. These fillers should be injected by someone with expertise in Filling such as a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, or Otolaryngologist, Oculoplastic surgeon with expertise because placing the filler in the right area and depth with the right amount is key to optimizing results and safety.

Difference between Juvederm and Voluma

Great question. Voluma is the newest addition to the Juvederm family. The complete name is Juvederm Voluma XC, which can make it difficult to differentiate from Juvederm XC. 

They are both HA's fillers. 

Voluma is a thicker filler and is best injected into the a DEEP plane. Works great to restore lost volume in the cheek/midface area.

Juvederm XC has a lower G' prime (less thick), and is better for the perioral region and lips.

Hope this was helpful/ Good luck!

Jose Rodríguez-Feliz, MD

Juvederm vs. Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma™ XC is specially formulated to add volume to cheeks. Voluma is a Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler that is FDA-approved specifically for deep injection in the cheek area to correct the loss of volume that comes with aging. To augment lips and achieve greater symmetry and definition, injections of Juvéderm® XC are the appropriate treatment. The two fillers are not the same and they cannot be used interchangeably. Additionally, Juvéderm® XC is excellent for plumping out nasolabial folds (from nose to mouth) and softening marionette lines (from mouth to chin).

Hal Michael Bass, MD

Chooses of Juvederm

All of the Juvederm products are excellent chooses for erasing the signs of aging, loss of volume and enhancing lips and moderate lines.  Since Voluma is a denser hyaluronic acid , it is best used to lift sagging faces and to add volume to mid faces and jawlines.  Juvederm Ultra creates a soft enhancement for lips and lip lines and the Juvederm Ultra Plus is best used for moderate creases  such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines ( downturned smile lines)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Juvederm vs. Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma is the newest member of the Juvederm family that has recently been FDA approved to inject deep into the cheek hollows to help restore volume. It is a very thick product (much thicker than the other Juvederm products) and therefore is best used in a larger area like the midface. I prefer to use Juvederm Ultra for lip injections. It offers just the right amount of plumpness and allows for very precise injecting. I always aim for the most natural results which is especially important with lip injections. I think that Voluma is an excellent product and use it regularly, but not in the lip area. Remember to consult with a board certified physician so that they can assess you and make the best recommendation to meet your specific needs.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Juvaderm Voluma Vs Juvaderm

Juvaderm Voluma can safely add lost volume to aging faces . It softly and naturally restores a more youthful appearance by its subtlety and ability to be injected deeply for a LIFT!    Juvaderm Ultra and Ultra Plus are better used for mid to deep correction of wrinkles and folds.  A more natural, soft look might be a better option for lip enhancement but some people need the more defined borders that Juvaderm can provide. 

Juvederm Voluma, Perlane, Restylane Silk and other options: the injector matters more.

In reality the injector is much more important than the selection of which HA filler to use.  In general I would stay away from high G' filers like Voluma because they can easily create strange appearing faces.  I explain more about this in the blog linked below which explains why so many filler interventions end up so strange looking.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Juvederm Voluma for lips

Juvederm Voluma is not FDA approved for injection into the lips; however, it can work well when used in the lips as an alternative to Juvederm. The issue with lip injections is longevity.  Even though Voluma is FDA approved for longer than Juvederm, this indication is for the cheeks.  Because there is so much movement around the lips, products tend to get absorbed quicker anyway.  I personally like Juvederm Ultra Plus and Restylane in the lips.  Both of these will get you close to 6 months.  Voluma may last a few more months but not sure if it's worth the increase in cost. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Juvederm and Voluma are both hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers, differing only on the thickness of the gel injected.  Between the two, Juvederm is a thinner gel, used primarily to restore volume in and around the mouth and lips.  It can be used in the cheeks as well.  Effects are typically seen for 4-6 months.  Voluma is a thicker gel, placed deeper in the skin than Juvederm, that is used to lift and augment a patient's cheek/cheekbone region, though it can also be used in the temples and other areas to restore volume.  Effects have continued to be seen two years and longer from injections. Both fillers are FDA approved.  

Voluma Is Not for Lip Injections

Voluma is designed to be injected into the cheek area. It is an extremely thick, long-lasting product that should not be injected into the lips. Products that are commonly injected into the lips are Restylane and Juvederm Ultra, or sometimes Belotero. Belotero is much thinner and does not last very long in the lips. Belotero also does not have lidocaine in it.