Voluma vs. Sculptra?

I had one treatment of Sculptra. It was ok, I need another one or 2 treatments. However I found out about Voluma. My doctor said it would work well for my needs as I only need a small area done in my cheek. I found a Voluma dr. specialzing in the injection in NJ ... should I try Voluma instead of Sculptra?

Voluma vs. Sculptra

Both materials are useful for the correction of volume loss ( or sometimes referred to as lipoatrophy) of the cheeks to improve a hollowed look or to better define the cheek areas and give a "lift" to the underlying skin.

Voluma can be a better choice to accentuate the cheeks and Sculptra is more usefull to provide more general filling out of the area.  The correction from Voluma will last about two years. The improvement from Sculptra may last 5 years or longer. Every person's features continue to change as they mature so some touch up procedures are often necessary depending on individual circumstances and individual biology.  

Sculptra effects develop over several weeks and to achieve the desired results usually two or three treatment sessions are necessary initially.

Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Sculptra?

Thank you for your question. I think that it is important to understand that an experienced injector chooses filler as an artist would choose a brush., Each provides a different effect and are used in different areas for different reasons. Voluma and Sculptra are both excellent fillers. I think that Voluma is the most "sculptural" filler we use as it is elastic and a little stiff. When it is injected over the cheekbones we get a very nice elevation and lift of the tissues. Sculptra is more often used for general (less precise) volumization of the facial areas from the cheek to the jawline. A wonderful advantage of Voluma is that if you don't like the result for any reason it can be "erased" like any of the hyaluronic acid fillers. Be sure and seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled in the use of all injectibles. The choice of your injector is probably more important than their choice of product. Best wishes.

Voluma vs Sculptra

Thanks for asking a very common question for any patient considering fillers.  Both of these agents are volumizing agents.  They are designed to help fill in a deflated face.  However, the mechanisms of how they work are completely different.  If you were to picture your face as a deflated tent, Sculptra would attempt to prop up the tent by filling it up, basically flooding the area.  Voluma works in a different fashion to prop the tent up as it is more structural and would hold the tent up more like a tent pole.  The injection techniques are different and it is important that you find an injector that is comfortable with injecting this newer agent.  Best wishes.

Voluma or Sculptra

Thanks for the question.  Both products work very differently though they both are used for volume addition.  Voluma is an instantaeous volumizer that lasts 24 months.  Usually, most people need a touch up around 2-4 months and is a great option for those looking for adding volume.  The downside is its softness.  Because it is so soft, any significant volume changes requires 5-6 syringes every 2 years. 

Sculptra, on the other hand, stimulates your body to produce collagen in the areas where Sculptra is injected.  This takes 3-4 months to see the result so isn't instantaneous but it can last 2-3 years.  On average, individuals need 3-5 vials to get a good volume result.  The downside is that it depends on your body's ability to produce collagen.  Even though the average needed is 3-5 vials, at the end of 3 months, you might find that your body doesn't produce collagen at the same rate or in the same amount compared to someone else and you may need more.  At that point, you can have more Sculptra or switch to something like Voluma if you're not interested in watiing for the result anymore.  People like Sculptra because it gives a gradual, natural result over time; but it can be a longer time then some hope for.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try it

Voluma has achieved beautiful results for my patients in the cheek area. You can try it to see if you like it!

Sculptra versus Voluma

I use a great deal of Voluma as well as Sculptra.  Both give excellent results when injected properly with patient selection and results expected.  Sculptra can be used in more areas of the lower face, temples and chin to produce collagen in a slow natural appearing way.  Voluma will give you an instant lift and the results are great for the mid face.  It is important to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections to get the best cosmetic results.

Voluma vs Sculptra

Voluma and Sculptra are both great volumizers of the midface.  Currently, Voluma has FDA approval to "restore volume and fullness to the areas of the mid-face, which include the cheeks and nearby regions confined to the middle portion of the face" while Sculptra "is injected into the facial tissue to correct shallow to deep smile lines (nasolabial fold) contour deficiencies and other facial wrinkles."  (This was directly taken from the FDA website). 

In practical terms, they both add volume to the face, Voluma by directly adding hyaluronic acid (similar to Juvederm and Restylane) in a form which allows it to be more stable and effective at producing volume compared to Juvederm Ultra or Restylane; and Sculptra by placing poly-l-lactic acid particles which stimulate collagen formation.  Both show evidence of still being present at 2 years after injection, but whether or not this means you won't need to repeat it is not likely (however you may need significantly less to maintain than you might during the initial correction phase). 

Although the US experience with Voluma is new, I suspect that with time injectors will decide which they prefer in each area and why.  As of now, I prefer voluma only along the cheekbone area.  Any other areas which I want to volumize, I prefer Sculptra as i believe it will lead to less lump formation as it seems easier to inject smoothly.

However, the drawback with sculptra is that it may require multiple treatments to keep the same effect (2-3 treatments) to adequately stimulate enough collagen growth to account for the decrease in volume as the swelling dissipates as the water the sculptra is dissolved in is absorbed by the body.  Voluma gives an immediate benefit which is definitely a bonus, but using higher volumes of it to achieve similar results may be difficult on the pocketbook!  

Ultimately, the answer is best determined by the product your injector is most comfortable or skilled in using, and your needs (where you need it, how quickly you need the volume, your finances, and your ability to tolerate bruising).  

Not all injectors are created equal so you need to do your research with finding someone who not only can inject, but has the eye to know where to inject.  This does not mean they are the cheapest price...that's not a good way to find an injector for fillers--this requires more skill than Botox, so choose carefully!

Roxanne Sylora, MD

SCULPTRA VS VOLUMA

Sculptra has been on the market in the US for significantly longer than Juvederm Voluma, which has been relatively recently approved by the FDA.  Both products are considered long-lasting.  Sculptra almost universally requires at least 2-3 treatments but can last 2-3 years in my experience.  It acts by stimulating the body's own collagen to enhance volume and works very well in the midface, nasolabial folds, and jawline.

Voluma is a single treatment product that has been indicated for the midface primarily and lasts up to 2 years.  Unlike Sculptra, it is fully reversible if the rare case arises.  In addition, it provides for a natural result.  

Make sure to select an experienced surgeon with excellent credentials and a good aesthetic eye. Together, you will arive at the proper treatment approach.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Voluma

Sculptra is used to correct shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds, it is specifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth over an extended period of time with multiple sessions. Once you are done with your Sculptra treatment sessions the results can last up to 2 years.

Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area creating a more youthful appearance. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance to the cheek area that last up to 2 years with optimal treatment. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions/syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra or Voluma?

Hi P,

Best to choose your injecting physician based on their aesthetic and artistic vision, rather than what brand of filler that they will inject into your face. All things being equal, Voluma is brand new, it is getting rave reviews by those who have had the opportunity to use it, and likely in a small area may be preferred. Sculptra is a wonderful facial volumizer but may take multiple injection sessions over time to achieve the aesthetic goal. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon