Voluma vs. Sculptra?

I had one treatment of Sculptra. It was ok, I need another one or 2 treatments. However I found out about Voluma. My doctor said it would work well for my needs as I only need a small area done in my cheek. I found a Voluma dr. specialzing in the injection in NJ ... should I try Voluma instead of Sculptra?

Voluma and sculptra serve different purposes

Voluma lifts the cheek.  That lift softens jowls and nasolabial folds, resulting in an upward rebalancing of the face.  It has an immediate effect, and it lasts for ~2 years.

I find that those with thinner faces actually look more hollow with voluma, since voluma builds up the cheeks, thereby accentuating hollow temples and submalar areas.

Sculptra can also rebuild the cheek, but it is also useful for filling in hollow temples and submalar hollows, as well as recreating the jawline.

I often recommend combining sculptra and voluma in my thinner clients.  They get the immediate lift of the cheek, while rebuilding the periphery of the face.

Voluma vs. Sculptra?

Thank you for your question. I think that it is important to understand that an experienced injector chooses filler as an artist would choose a brush., Each provides a different effect and are used in different areas for different reasons. Voluma and Sculptra are both excellent fillers. I think that Voluma is the most "sculptural" filler we use as it is elastic and a little stiff. When it is injected over the cheekbones we get a very nice elevation and lift of the tissues. Sculptra is more often used for general (less precise) volumization of the facial areas from the cheek to the jawline. A wonderful advantage of Voluma is that if you don't like the result for any reason it can be "erased" like any of the hyaluronic acid fillers. Be sure and seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled in the use of all injectibles. The choice of your injector is probably more important than their choice of product. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Sculptra

Both materials are useful for the correction of volume loss ( or sometimes referred to as lipoatrophy) of the cheeks to improve a hollowed look or to better define the cheek areas and give a "lift" to the underlying skin.

Voluma can be a better choice to accentuate the cheeks and Sculptra is more usefull to provide more general filling out of the area.  The correction from Voluma will last about two years. The improvement from Sculptra may last 5 years or longer. Every person's features continue to change as they mature so some touch up procedures are often necessary depending on individual circumstances and individual biology.  

Sculptra effects develop over several weeks and to achieve the desired results usually two or three treatment sessions are necessary initially.

Victor Michalak, MD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Voluma.

Scultra takes 6 months to see the complete effects. Very few people need only one session. Skilled injectors can get beautiful, natural, long lasting results.

Voluma is brand new on the market and nobody has years of experience with it yet (or even months). Likely you will need multiple syringes to get an equal result (and at least in my practice it is more expensive than Sculptra). If you are thinking of travelling to get it placed and you think you are getting an "expert" you might want to rethink that.

The early promises of the newest "miracle filler" are usually over-hyped in the attempt to get market share for the company that is producing the new product, so staying with your original injector may be smarter, in order for that doctor to evaluate the actual results of the product against the manufacturers claims.

Patience is often rewarded with better outcomes. Hang in there and keep reseaching.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Sculptra: both great for volume

Juvaderm Voluma is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler that is marked to last 24 months. The results are fairly immediate and you can start seeing the results the day of your injection (there is some swelling that will need to resolve). I think Voluma is a great product for cheek augmentation.

Sculptra is an injectable poly-L-lactic acid and it stimulates your body to generate collagen in the areas that are needed. It takes a series of injection to see the results (usually 3-4). After your initial injection you see improvement that goes away as the product and swelling dissolve. One of the downsides of Sculptra is that it can take 3-4 months to see the final results. It gives a natural gradual results, but the results take time. The results can last over 2 years. I think Sculptra is great for overall hollowing and can treat the temple, submalar region, and jawline.  

Both product are great for volumizing the face
Discuss with your injector so your treatment meets your expectation

I hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Otolaryngologist

Voluma vs. Sculptra

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler. The biggest side effects have been bruising and swelling which may last a couple of days or up to a couple weeks.  The biggest difference between Voluma and Sculptra is that Voluma results are immediate and Sculptra take months to achieve.  That said, Sculptra can usually cover a larger area than Voluma.

Voluma and Sculptra for facial volume loss.

I try to encourage Sculptra more for women and men who have a more diffuse loss of facial volume, deeper cheeks and temporal wasting. It is great if used for and overall volumizing agent, and can last for up to 2 years. There is a delay in seeing the improvement with this filler from 1-3 months, as it induces your body to make its own collagen. So there is a delay, and for somebody looking for more instant results this can be a bit disappointing. It generally takes the average person 2-4 sessions to see the best improvement.

Voluma on the other hand gives instant results, with no delay in seeing where your investment has gone. It also can last for up to 2 years, and can be used for overall facial volume restoration, but will likely cost more than if you had done sculptra. Voluma is very versatile however, and works great for volume loss or just to pick up volume in a single area like cheeks.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma works faster

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid product similar that which is found in our skin.  It lifts, fills and restores volume to the face.  One or two treatments is usually necessary to restore a rejuvenated appearance as opposed to sculptra which will require many more treatments.  Additionally, you see results within a few days . Sculptra takes much longer to work.  An evaluation of your face by a plastic surgeon should determine which product is ideal for you. 

Voluma or Sculptra

Thanks for the question.  Both products work very differently though they both are used for volume addition.  Voluma is an instantaeous volumizer that lasts 24 months.  Usually, most people need a touch up around 2-4 months and is a great option for those looking for adding volume.  The downside is its softness.  Because it is so soft, any significant volume changes requires 5-6 syringes every 2 years. 

Sculptra, on the other hand, stimulates your body to produce collagen in the areas where Sculptra is injected.  This takes 3-4 months to see the result so isn't instantaneous but it can last 2-3 years.  On average, individuals need 3-5 vials to get a good volume result.  The downside is that it depends on your body's ability to produce collagen.  Even though the average needed is 3-5 vials, at the end of 3 months, you might find that your body doesn't produce collagen at the same rate or in the same amount compared to someone else and you may need more.  At that point, you can have more Sculptra or switch to something like Voluma if you're not interested in watiing for the result anymore.  People like Sculptra because it gives a gradual, natural result over time; but it can be a longer time then some hope for.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try it

Voluma has achieved beautiful results for my patients in the cheek area. You can try it to see if you like it!