Voluma vs. Sculptra?

I had one treatment of Sculptra. It was ok, I need another one or 2 treatments. However I found out about Voluma. My doctor said it would work well for my needs as I only need a small area done in my cheek. I found a Voluma dr. specialzing in the injection in NJ ... should I try Voluma instead of Sculptra?

Sculptra versus Voluma

+1
I use a great deal of Voluma as well as Sculptra.  Both give excellent results when injected properly with patient selection and results expected.  Sculptra can be used in more areas of the lower face, temples and chin to produce collagen in a slow natural appearing way.  Voluma will give you an instant lift and the results are great for the mid face.  It is important to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections to get the best cosmetic results.

Voluma vs Sculptra

+1
Both products can offer patients excellent results and offer advantages.  Sculptra is a biostimulator so the patient may not see a final result for up to 6 weeks.  Sculptra is said to last 2 years or longer.  Sculptra can form nodules or granulomas in some patients and is not reversible.

Volumna is an injectable implant of hyaluronic acid.  It lasts up to 2 years and has the main advantage of being reversible.  

Both products can offer patients excellent results and can be considered based on a patient's aesthetic goals and individual anatomy.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Sculptra?

+1
Thank you for your question. I think that it is important to understand that an experienced injector chooses filler as an artist would choose a brush., Each provides a different effect and are used in different areas for different reasons. Voluma and Sculptra are both excellent fillers. I think that Voluma is the most "sculptural" filler we use as it is elastic and a little stiff. When it is injected over the cheekbones we get a very nice elevation and lift of the tissues. Sculptra is more often used for general (less precise) volumization of the facial areas from the cheek to the jawline. A wonderful advantage of Voluma is that if you don't like the result for any reason it can be "erased" like any of the hyaluronic acid fillers. Be sure and seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled in the use of all injectibles. The choice of your injector is probably more important than their choice of product. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Sculptra

+1
If you are not excited about the results of sculptra, then you may want to give volume an opportunity. Patient finds Voluma to be an excellent product for a mid facelift

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Voluma vs Sculptra

+1
Voluma and Sculptra are both great volumizers of the midface.  Currently, Voluma has FDA approval to "restore volume and fullness to the areas of the mid-face, which include the cheeks and nearby regions confined to the middle portion of the face" while Sculptra "is injected into the facial tissue to correct shallow to deep smile lines (nasolabial fold) contour deficiencies and other facial wrinkles."  (This was directly taken from the FDA website). 

In practical terms, they both add volume to the face, Voluma by directly adding hyaluronic acid (similar to Juvederm and Restylane) in a form which allows it to be more stable and effective at producing volume compared to Juvederm Ultra or Restylane; and Sculptra by placing poly-l-lactic acid particles which stimulate collagen formation.  Both show evidence of still being present at 2 years after injection, but whether or not this means you won't need to repeat it is not likely (however you may need significantly less to maintain than you might during the initial correction phase). 

Although the US experience with Voluma is new, I suspect that with time injectors will decide which they prefer in each area and why.  As of now, I prefer voluma only along the cheekbone area.  Any other areas which I want to volumize, I prefer Sculptra as i believe it will lead to less lump formation as it seems easier to inject smoothly.

However, the drawback with sculptra is that it may require multiple treatments to keep the same effect (2-3 treatments) to adequately stimulate enough collagen growth to account for the decrease in volume as the swelling dissipates as the water the sculptra is dissolved in is absorbed by the body.  Voluma gives an immediate benefit which is definitely a bonus, but using higher volumes of it to achieve similar results may be difficult on the pocketbook!  

Ultimately, the answer is best determined by the product your injector is most comfortable or skilled in using, and your needs (where you need it, how quickly you need the volume, your finances, and your ability to tolerate bruising).  

Not all injectors are created equal so you need to do your research with finding someone who not only can inject, but has the eye to know where to inject.  This does not mean they are the cheapest price...that's not a good way to find an injector for fillers--this requires more skill than Botox, so choose carefully!

Roxanne Sylora, MD

SCULPTRA VS VOLUMA

+1
Sculptra has been on the market in the US for significantly longer than Juvederm Voluma, which has been relatively recently approved by the FDA.  Both products are considered long-lasting.  Sculptra almost universally requires at least 2-3 treatments but can last 2-3 years in my experience.  It acts by stimulating the body's own collagen to enhance volume and works very well in the midface, nasolabial folds, and jawline.

Voluma is a single treatment product that has been indicated for the midface primarily and lasts up to 2 years.  Unlike Sculptra, it is fully reversible if the rare case arises.  In addition, it provides for a natural result.  

Make sure to select an experienced surgeon with excellent credentials and a good aesthetic eye. Together, you will arive at the proper treatment approach.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra vs Voluma

+1

Sculptra is used to correct shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds, it is specifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth over an extended period of time with multiple sessions. Once you are done with your Sculptra treatment sessions the results can last up to 2 years.

Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area creating a more youthful appearance. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance to the cheek area that last up to 2 years with optimal treatment. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions/syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra or Voluma?

+1

Hi P,

Best to choose your injecting physician based on their aesthetic and artistic vision, rather than what brand of filler that they will inject into your face. All things being equal, Voluma is brand new, it is getting rave reviews by those who have had the opportunity to use it, and likely in a small area may be preferred. Sculptra is a wonderful facial volumizer but may take multiple injection sessions over time to achieve the aesthetic goal. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Sculptra vs Voluma.

+1

Scultra takes 6 months to see the complete effects. Very few people need only one session. Skilled injectors can get beautiful, natural, long lasting results.

Voluma is brand new on the market and nobody has years of experience with it yet (or even months). Likely you will need multiple syringes to get an equal result (and at least in my practice it is more expensive than Sculptra). If you are thinking of travelling to get it placed and you think you are getting an "expert" you might want to rethink that.

The early promises of the newest "miracle filler" are usually over-hyped in the attempt to get market share for the company that is producing the new product, so staying with your original injector may be smarter, in order for that doctor to evaluate the actual results of the product against the manufacturers claims.

Patience is often rewarded with better outcomes. Hang in there and keep reseaching.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon