Voluma vs. Sculptra?

I had one treatment of Sculptra. It was ok, I need another one or 2 treatments. However I found out about Voluma. My doctor said it would work well for my needs as I only need a small area done in my cheek. I found a Voluma dr. specialzing in the injection in NJ ... should I try Voluma instead of Sculptra?

Voluma and sculptra serve different purposes

Voluma lifts the cheek.  That lift softens jowls and nasolabial folds, resulting in an upward rebalancing of the face.  It has an immediate effect, and it lasts for ~2 years.

I find that those with thinner faces actually look more hollow with voluma, since voluma builds up the cheeks, thereby accentuating hollow temples and submalar areas.

Sculptra can also rebuild the cheek, but it is also useful for filling in hollow temples and submalar hollows, as well as recreating the jawline.

I often recommend combining sculptra and voluma in my thinner clients.  They get the immediate lift of the cheek, while rebuilding the periphery of the face.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Voluma vs. Sculptra?

Thank you for your question. I think that it is important to understand that an experienced injector chooses filler as an artist would choose a brush., Each provides a different effect and are used in different areas for different reasons. Voluma and Sculptra are both excellent fillers. I think that Voluma is the most "sculptural" filler we use as it is elastic and a little stiff. When it is injected over the cheekbones we get a very nice elevation and lift of the tissues. Sculptra is more often used for general (less precise) volumization of the facial areas from the cheek to the jawline. A wonderful advantage of Voluma is that if you don't like the result for any reason it can be "erased" like any of the hyaluronic acid fillers. Be sure and seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is skilled in the use of all injectibles. The choice of your injector is probably more important than their choice of product. Best wishes.

Kevin L. Smith, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

2215 Randolph Rd
Charlotte, NC 28207

Voluma vs. Sculptra

Both materials are useful for the correction of volume loss ( or sometimes referred to as lipoatrophy) of the cheeks to improve a hollowed look or to better define the cheek areas and give a "lift" to the underlying skin.

Voluma can be a better choice to accentuate the cheeks and Sculptra is more usefull to provide more general filling out of the area.  The correction from Voluma will last about two years. The improvement from Sculptra may last 5 years or longer. Every person's features continue to change as they mature so some touch up procedures are often necessary depending on individual circumstances and individual biology.  

Sculptra effects develop over several weeks and to achieve the desired results usually two or three treatment sessions are necessary initially.

Victor Michalak, MD
Issaquah Dermatologic Surgeon

295 NE Gilman Blvd
Issaquah, WA 98027

Voluma vs. Sculptra

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler. The biggest side effects have been bruising and swelling which may last a couple of days or up to a couple weeks.  The biggest difference between Voluma and Sculptra is that Voluma results are immediate and Sculptra take months to achieve.  That said, Sculptra can usually cover a larger area than Voluma.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

5969 East Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43213

Voluma and Sculptra for facial volume loss.

I try to encourage Sculptra more for women and men who have a more diffuse loss of facial volume, deeper cheeks and temporal wasting. It is great if used for and overall volumizing agent, and can last for up to 2 years. There is a delay in seeing the improvement with this filler from 1-3 months, as it induces your body to make its own collagen. So there is a delay, and for somebody looking for more instant results this can be a bit disappointing. It generally takes the average person 2-4 sessions to see the best improvement.

Voluma on the other hand gives instant results, with no delay in seeing where your investment has gone. It also can last for up to 2 years, and can be used for overall facial volume restoration, but will likely cost more than if you had done sculptra. Voluma is very versatile however, and works great for volume loss or just to pick up volume in a single area like cheeks.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

366 Veterans Memorial Highway
Commack, NY 11725

Voluma works faster

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid product similar that which is found in our skin.  It lifts, fills and restores volume to the face.  One or two treatments is usually necessary to restore a rejuvenated appearance as opposed to sculptra which will require many more treatments.  Additionally, you see results within a few days . Sculptra takes much longer to work.  An evaluation of your face by a plastic surgeon should determine which product is ideal for you. 

Jeffrey S. Rosenthal, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

140 Sherman Street
Fairfield, CT 06824

Voluma or Sculptra

Thanks for the question.  Both products work very differently though they both are used for volume addition.  Voluma is an instantaeous volumizer that lasts 24 months.  Usually, most people need a touch up around 2-4 months and is a great option for those looking for adding volume.  The downside is its softness.  Because it is so soft, any significant volume changes requires 5-6 syringes every 2 years. 

Sculptra, on the other hand, stimulates your body to produce collagen in the areas where Sculptra is injected.  This takes 3-4 months to see the result so isn't instantaneous but it can last 2-3 years.  On average, individuals need 3-5 vials to get a good volume result.  The downside is that it depends on your body's ability to produce collagen.  Even though the average needed is 3-5 vials, at the end of 3 months, you might find that your body doesn't produce collagen at the same rate or in the same amount compared to someone else and you may need more.  At that point, you can have more Sculptra or switch to something like Voluma if you're not interested in watiing for the result anymore.  People like Sculptra because it gives a gradual, natural result over time; but it can be a longer time then some hope for.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

5730 Glenridge Drive
Atlanta, GA 30328

Try it

Voluma has achieved beautiful results for my patients in the cheek area. You can try it to see if you like it!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Sculptra versus Voluma

I use a great deal of Voluma as well as Sculptra.  Both give excellent results when injected properly with patient selection and results expected.  Sculptra can be used in more areas of the lower face, temples and chin to produce collagen in a slow natural appearing way.  Voluma will give you an instant lift and the results are great for the mid face.  It is important to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections to get the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Voluma vs Sculptra

Voluma and Sculptra are both great volumizers of the midface.  Currently, Voluma has FDA approval to "restore volume and fullness to the areas of the mid-face, which include the cheeks and nearby regions confined to the middle portion of the face" while Sculptra "is injected into the facial tissue to correct shallow to deep smile lines (nasolabial fold) contour deficiencies and other facial wrinkles."  (This was directly taken from the FDA website). 

In practical terms, they both add volume to the face, Voluma by directly adding hyaluronic acid (similar to Juvederm and Restylane) in a form which allows it to be more stable and effective at producing volume compared to Juvederm Ultra or Restylane; and Sculptra by placing poly-l-lactic acid particles which stimulate collagen formation.  Both show evidence of still being present at 2 years after injection, but whether or not this means you won't need to repeat it is not likely (however you may need significantly less to maintain than you might during the initial correction phase). 

Although the US experience with Voluma is new, I suspect that with time injectors will decide which they prefer in each area and why.  As of now, I prefer voluma only along the cheekbone area.  Any other areas which I want to volumize, I prefer Sculptra as i believe it will lead to less lump formation as it seems easier to inject smoothly.

However, the drawback with sculptra is that it may require multiple treatments to keep the same effect (2-3 treatments) to adequately stimulate enough collagen growth to account for the decrease in volume as the swelling dissipates as the water the sculptra is dissolved in is absorbed by the body.  Voluma gives an immediate benefit which is definitely a bonus, but using higher volumes of it to achieve similar results may be difficult on the pocketbook!  

Ultimately, the answer is best determined by the product your injector is most comfortable or skilled in using, and your needs (where you need it, how quickly you need the volume, your finances, and your ability to tolerate bruising).  

Not all injectors are created equal so you need to do your research with finding someone who not only can inject, but has the eye to know where to inject.  This does not mean they are the cheapest price...that's not a good way to find an injector for fillers--this requires more skill than Botox, so choose carefully!

Roxanne Sylora, MD

400 Celebration Place
Celebration, FL 34747