Does Juvederm VOLUMA Promote Collagen Production?

A week ago I had Juvederm Voluma injected in each cheek - 2 syringes each. After a few days they look rather deflated and not as good as they did intiially. I was told I would notice this after a week or 2 and may be disappointed for a short time, but then after a couple of weeks the product would be gradually promoting collagen production and it would look better after a little time. I haven't been able to find any other comments relating to this - can someone clarify/support this claim?

Juvederm Voluma

+3

Voluma is still not available in the US, but it is a hyaluronic.  Hyaluronics are fillers at heart, and not really classified as collagen stimulators like Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.  I think you experienced the post injection swelling at first and at a week out you are seeing the true amount of volume created with your first session.  Some of my colleagues who rely mostly on hyaluronics for all areas of facial filler state they feel there may be subtle collagen stimulation over time with repeat injections of the same product in the same location.  Their argument is they do not seem to need as much filler and the time intervals between injections seem to lengthen.  Each filler and collagen stimulator has its place on the face.  One product will not do it all.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Promoting Collagen Production

+2
There have been some studies that have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers may promote collagen production, however, these are preliminary. It is reversible and very safe. Voluma has some residual effect for up to 2 years according to its pivotal FDA studies.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Juvederm Voluma and filler for the mid face

+1
Juvederm Voluma is a fabulous filler for the mid face which restores facial volume.  Voluma is not for every patient.  If you have a significant amount of facial hollowing you might be better off with Sculptra.  Sculptra builds collagen in the face and can be used in the same areas.  If you feel that Voluma has depleted too quickly you should consult an expert in Sculptra about having these injections instead.

Michele S. Green, MD

HA fillers are not collagen stimulators

+1
I don't believe that Voluma or any of the other HA fillers create enough local inflammation to induce collagen formation. They provide volume and are temporary fillers.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Voluma facial injections in Los Angeles

+1
Voluma is not a stimulatory filler, but a volume filler. Although there is likely some mild collagen production, this is not the main mechanism of action of Voluma. Our office specializes in Voluma and Juvederm facial filler injections in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best Voluma Injections…What You See is What You Get

+1
Hi cmcm,

Voluma is a thick hyaluronic acid filler.  You get what you see after proper placement of Voluma.  It is not dependent on collagen production over time.  If it is not injected in the proper place, then there can be initial swelling and a full appearance that is temporary and gone once the swelling has resolved.  Unfortunately I cannot support the claim that your Voluma will look better as time passes.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Voluma & Collagen Production

+1
Do fillers like Juvederm®, Restylane®, and now Voluma™ promote collagen growth?That’s a real zillion dollar question. The answer is yes, but only sort of. Over months these hyaluronic acid fillers, which are bioidentical to your body’s own natural hyaluronic acid, begin to reabsorb and there can be a small percentage of your body’s own collagen that begins to grow into the filler. I believe what you liked about your initial correction was the small amount of swelling that was naturally part of the injection procedure. The Voluma didn’t disappear or lessen over those first few days, but the swelling from injection lessened. Now you are looking more at the natural shape of the product, and not the product plus swelling.I tell all of my patients to live with this first step of the correction, as there will be some swelling, let it go down, and then after 4 to 8 weeks plan for an additional touch up correction. This is probably good advice for all injection products.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Sounds like Sculptra, not VOLUMA

+1
Based on your description, it seems like you may have had Sculptra and not Voluma. Voluma is instantaneous and only swells for a few days (and would not deflate). Sculptra promotes collagen building, Voluma does not.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

You may need more Voluma

+1

it is unlikely that Voluma would stimulate significant collagen production at a couple of weeks. It is not a true collagen stimulator. you would have experienced some swelling after the injection, which you probably liked. now that the swelling is going down, you miss the larger volume. i would wait at least 2 weeks and then perhaps you should consider having more injected.

good luck

david berman md

plastic surgeon,

northern va

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Collagen Production from Voluma: Depends on Who You Ask!

+1

Many products like to suggest they promote collagen production and maybe the simple trauma of the needle leads to repair and collagen production as a side effect but not really the primary goal of Voluma, Juvederm Ultra, Restylane, Belotero, etc. The products that truly stimulate collagen production are Sculptra and Radiesse based on studies. The truth is sometimes elusive when it comes to biochemical claims because you really have to delve into the studies - which no one has the time for.

Jonathan Kaplan, MD, MPH