Does Juvederm VOLUMA Promote Collagen Production?

A week ago I had Juvederm Voluma injected in each cheek - 2 syringes each. After a few days they look rather deflated and not as good as they did intiially. I was told I would notice this after a week or 2 and may be disappointed for a short time, but then after a couple of weeks the product would be gradually promoting collagen production and it would look better after a little time. I haven't been able to find any other comments relating to this - can someone clarify/support this claim?

Juvederm Voluma

Voluma is still not available in the US, but it is a hyaluronic.  Hyaluronics are fillers at heart, and not really classified as collagen stimulators like Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.  I think you experienced the post injection swelling at first and at a week out you are seeing the true amount of volume created with your first session.  Some of my colleagues who rely mostly on hyaluronics for all areas of facial filler state they feel there may be subtle collagen stimulation over time with repeat injections of the same product in the same location.  Their argument is they do not seem to need as much filler and the time intervals between injections seem to lengthen.  Each filler and collagen stimulator has its place on the face.  One product will not do it all.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Promoting Collagen Production

There have been some studies that have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers may promote collagen production, however, these are preliminary. It is reversible and very safe. Voluma has some residual effect for up to 2 years according to its pivotal FDA studies.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Sounds like Sculptra, not VOLUMA

Based on your description, it seems like you may have had Sculptra and not Voluma. Voluma is instantaneous and only swells for a few days (and would not deflate). Sculptra promotes collagen building, Voluma does not.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Results

Great question! Voluma results are immediate but are often exaggerated by post-injection swelling. It’s important to understand that when you leave the doctors office after being injected, you are swollen. Often times this swelling is easy to mistake as the results of the Voluma injection. Taking into consideration that you were injected one week ago, the timing lines up for your swelling to have just subsided, which would create the illusion of the results looking “deflated”. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid and does not have the same collagen building properties as other products like Sculptra. The results of Voluma have been shown to last for up to 2 years, but if you have any concerns I would recommend contacting your injecting physician so that they can follow up with you.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Voluma

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler.

Does Voluma Promote Collagen Production?

I have been using Juvederm Voluma for over 1.5 years and have not seen evidence of collagen stimulation.  This product is not designed to stimulate collagen.  It provides natural long lasting results.  Studies on Restylane have shown that there can be some collagen stimulation with the use of HA's but this is less common and not the reason for injecting Voluma.

Its not unusual to get some mild swelling for a days post injection which can persist for up to 2 4 weeks.  I will therefore wait to do any boost injections at the 1 month follow up visit.  What you see at 1 month should persist up to 2 years.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results are instant however the process can be cumulative

Dermal fillers show immediately when injected. Immediately after injection one can experience some soft tissue swelling that will subside typically no longer than 2 weeks out. The bodies response to having a dermal filler is that it can cause the body to produce fibroblasts which are essentially like a collagen netting. This process is cumulative meaning the more time you have dermal fillers done, potentially the longer or less amount of filler you will need moving forward. The product is not made to expand or get "fuller" in days time. It is important to go to a injector who is experienced at placement and also can advise as to what product needs to be used an how much.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma and filler for the mid face

Juvederm Voluma is a fabulous filler for the mid face which restores facial volume.  Voluma is not for every patient.  If you have a significant amount of facial hollowing you might be better off with Sculptra.  Sculptra builds collagen in the face and can be used in the same areas.  If you feel that Voluma has depleted too quickly you should consult an expert in Sculptra about having these injections instead.

HA fillers are not collagen stimulators

I don't believe that Voluma or any of the other HA fillers create enough local inflammation to induce collagen formation. They provide volume and are temporary fillers.

Voluma facial injections in Los Angeles

Voluma is not a stimulatory filler, but a volume filler. Although there is likely some mild collagen production, this is not the main mechanism of action of Voluma. Our office specializes in Voluma and Juvederm facial filler injections in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS