What is Really the Difference Between a 450cc and 500cc?

I heard I will lose some volume by going under the muscle and also by getting a lift. I love the look of the 450 sizer so does that mean I should go with the 500cc or is that going to be too much?

Implant Selection Process

+1

If you are going under the muscle and getting a lift, I would recommend at least 500cc to meet the look of the 450 cc sizer.   In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

450 and 500 are too BIG

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or told us your bra size.  A 450 or 500 cc implant is quite large.  This may not even fit under your muscle.  Implants this large often dislocate inferiorly and laterally.  I recommend patients undergo the smallest implant possible to give the appearance they want.  There is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which reshapes the breast tissue, elevates it higher on the chest wall and increases cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant higher on the chest wall produces more projection than traditional techniques.  This allows the patient to use a smaller implant.  Smaller implants will not descend as soon or as far as a large implant such as 450 or 500 cc.  Also, Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift technique uses only a circumareola incision, avoiding the ugly vertical scars that can not be hidden.

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Difference between 450cc. and 500cc

+1

The difference between these two implants is only 3mm. This is very small. Sizing with volumetric implants are not very accurate. The correct sizing is with a measurement of your breast width.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

What is the difference between a 450cc and 500cc Augmentation? #breastimplants

+1

Very little. Patients make a really big deal about the number when in fact it really does not matter at all. I do not see real changes until about 100 cc's or more. Smaller volume changes might be noticeable in smaller breasted women but honestly it is not much at all. It really does depend what you are starting with as well. With volume changes of that size, you should usually just trust your surgeon that they will pick the right implant based on what you have discussed pre operatively. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Difference between 450 and 500cc?

+1

The difference is only 10 teaspoons (1tsp =5cc).  They will probably look a little smaller after the surgery. With a lift you will lose some volume because a small amount of tissues removed, but also with a lift there is often the illusion of being a little smaller. Assuming the 500cc implants fit your chest measurements I would go with them.  Good luck. 

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

What is Really the Difference Between a 450cc and 500cc

+1

I prefer the use of sizers in helping choose the right implants for my patients. I usually feel that the sizer looks bigger when placed on the breast than the same size implant is placed in the breast, usually by about 5 to 10 percent. 

That said, I would go with the 500s, provided, of course, that that size is appropriate to the measurements of your breasts. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Implant sizing

+1
If you are going to have a lift, then the 500 cc implant is more likely to produce the look you are aiming for. There isn't much difference between the two sizes but your concerns are reasonable ones.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Love the 450 sizer but

+1

You can love the 450 sizer, but fall in love with the look only and not the number, as the implant will look and behave very differently depending on your chest size and breast envelope. Show your surgeon what you want to look like. If only we could just have patients try them on, but breast augmentation takes more judgment.

What is the difference between 450cc - 500cc?

+1

The difference between 450 and 500 cc is very minimum and will not really influence the projection. It is important to carefully measure the base of the chest to see what size will benefit the patient more. It is important to trust the recommendation of the doctor for the best long term results.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

There are several ways to choose breast implants. One tried and true is "volumetric sizing" or trying implants on in a bra. When the implant is placed in the breast, under the muscle, you will loose some of the visual effect compared to the sizer in the bra. To compensate for this, we recommend using an implant that is approximately 10% larger than the sizer.

Lawrence Iteld, MD