Are 550cc Silicone Implants to Large for a 120 Pound and 5'4 Patient?

Implant sizing

+3

The correct size of implant will depend on several factors such as how much breast tissue you have now(the operation is to augment your breast), how much the skin will stretch to fit the implant, and what you want to look like.  One way to get an idea is to find a surgeon with the Vectra 3D imaging system.  This may help you understand what your chest will look like with different implant sizes.  Personal taste will vary but generally a 550 cc implant is on the full side for someone of your stature.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

550 cc too large?

+2

Absolutely not. Every patient can have exactly the size she wants if you go to an experienced plastic surgeon. Yesterday I placed 3000 cc implants in a 4 ft 11 in. 120 lb patient! That is a very extreme case, but it just goes to show that there is no such thing as too big.... Just different strokes for different folks!

Dr Foster  Lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+2
Your question doesn't state your current bra size. An examination is always essential to establish the proportions of the proposed implants and whether you have sufficient skin for coverage. I personally think that 500 cc is a very large implant for someone of your size, as a general rule.

Too large implants

+2

Dear Rosie924,

all experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will measure your chest and guide you for the best size of breast implants related to your desired look.

but with just knowing your body frame: 5'4 and 120 LBS, even without a photo, I can tell you that 550 cc is way too big for you. I am not even sure they can even fit on your chest...

you should go for a 2 nd opinion with an experienced surgeon in your area.

Good luck,

Florence Mussat, M.D.

550cc too large?

+2

If the implant fits your breast width (and there are no unusual issues such as tight, constricting skin), then "the eye of the beholder" will be the ultimate judge.  In other words you may have a natural looking result, but you will have to decide what is right for you.  As a rule of thumb I find about 200cc often makes one cup size.  Good luck!

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Are 550cc Silicone Implants to Large??

+2

This is a difficult question to answer without an in person exam. Some measurements and photos would help some. 

There are many variables that go into the decision. Patient goals are primary, but are tempered with the limitations of the breast dimensions, and skin distensibility. As a rule, we try not to use implants wider that the width of the breast. As an example, a 550 cc high profile Allerghan implant is 13.5 cm wide. That may be wider than your breast, and if so may contribute to a less than desirable outcome, causing perhaps one variant of what is called a"double bubble" and/or excessive extension of the breast over the side of the chest into the axilla. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Breast implant size

+2

Hello. Thanks for your inquiry. We actually do a measurement of the breast width and can calculate the best size as well as too large a size for a person body frame chest width .  Also best to decide based on your skin envelope and history of previous augmentation.  Good luck

West Orange Plastic Surgeon

550 cc Breast Implants Too Large for Me?

+2

Unfortunately,  there is no way to generalize about the largest breast implant that will be safe to use for you without direct examination.  There are many variables involved in the decision-making process when it comes to selecting the best breast implant size/profile for any given patient.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or  "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Proper implant size choice

+2

Thank you for your question. Picking the proper implant size is something that creates alot of anxiety among women planning the procedure. Ideally, implants should be chosen based on more than just their volume. The base width of the implant should be matched to the width of your breast, and the projection chosen to fit your desired look and the characteristics of your breast skin. This allows the implant to be chosen on a 3 dimensional basis rather than by just volume alone. This will give more predictable and natural results. 

With that approach in mind, we can consider the original question. Depending on your chest width and overlying skin, you may be able to have a 550cc implant placed. This would be especially true if it was a higher profile implant, which would be more narrow and appear smaller but with increased projection. Ultimately, the best choice for you would be made during a consultation and the ensuing discussion.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX