Why The Alar Base Reduction & Tip Plasty Still Looked Wide And Big After The Surgery? (photo)

I had my surgery rhinoplasty performed several 4 days ago in South Korea. It was Alar Base Reduction, Tip Plasty (Ear Cartilage Harvest) and Columella Correction. I chose this procedure to make my nose smaller and to have a slight pointier nose. Due to several things happened, i had to go to Shanghai 2 days after the surgery. Now, my nose looked so much bigger than before, a big fat nose. I want to know if mine is normal? how long it will heal? Was it because taking the flight too?

Too Early For Final Results To Show After Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your before and after photos.

At couple of days post surgery, you are still swollen as you can see and your results are far from being final. Your flight may have caused an increase in swelling. You need to rest and follow your surgeon's instructions.

I encourage you to have a little more patience because it can take up to 12 months for you to establish the final results.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose usually gets swollen for at least 3 weeks after surgery. Some of the remaining swelling may take as long as one year to resolve. It is difficult to judge the result of your rhinoplasty so early on.

You should wait for now till all the swelling resolves and then compare it with your old photos.

The flight that you took can make the swelling worst because of dehydration in the nose. Remember the cabins in an airplane are very dry. If you have to fly use a lot of saline (salt water) nasal spray and drink a lot of water as well.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer:

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Big after surgery

+1

Four days is not long enough to really judge your final rhinoplasty results.  I would consider 12 months for full results.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon