Tearing Suture or Just Scar Tissue Popping After Tummy Tuck?

i tried hard to hold it in but sneezed today, 1 week post op tummy tuck. i felt and heard a popping noise above my belly button. it was loud enough that my husband about 10 feet away heard it as well. i feel so upset that ive torn a suture however i called the dr and he said not to worry he thinks it is scar tissue breaking up and that makes popping noises too...he didnt want me to come in and said i should be fine. :( i dont have bulging but i feel looser. could it just be scar tissue or tear?

Possible rupture of muscle repair early after tummy tuck

+1

It is difficult if not impossible to tell if you have torn a suture. However, your description sounds very suspicious for that. The real question is what should you do even if it was ruptured. Even if you could truly diagnose this condition, I would guess that most surgeons would take a wait and see approach. The integrity of your remaining repair depends on the technique used and this can vary tremendously.

Possible Stitch Tear in Tummy Tuck Muscle Repair

+1

Regarding : "Tearing Suture or Just Scar Tissue Popping After Tummy Tuck?
i tried hard to hold it in but sneezed today, 1 week post op tummy tuck. i felt and heard a popping noise above my belly button. it was loud enough that my husband about 10 feet away heard it as well. i feel so upset that ive torn a suture however i called the dr and he said not to worry he thinks it is scar tissue breaking up and that makes popping noises too...he didnt want me to come in and said i should be fine. :( i dont have bulging but i feel looser. could it just be scar tissue or tear
?"

Sorry to hear of your predicament. I find myself disagreeing with your surgeon. The amount of scar tissue generated in one week after a Tummy Tuck is not significant and it it were to be suddenly stretched and torn is NOT likely to make a popping sound heard 10 feet away. The fact that you feel looser supports your suspicion that your sudden sneezing may have torn one or more muscle tightening stitches above or around the belly button.

Every surgeon has his own preference of tightening the tummy muscle. The least stable and able to resist a sudden tear is a running over and over stitch. (I prefer repairing the muscles in two layers to greatly lower the odds of repair failure by sneezing, coughing or straining). If a single layer, running stitch repair was done in your case, odds are the whole repair may unravel. You may want to discuss this with your surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea