Can I Re-tattoo over a Laser-Removed Tattoo?

I got a tattoo that turned out crooked, and I am getting it lasered off once it heals. When i'm done with my treatments will I be able to get another tattoo over that same area? Or will there be scarring??

Can I re-tattoo over a laser-removed tattoo?

+3
Of course you can — get the tattoo to where you want the treatments to be, wait several months to let any under-the-skin inflammation calm down, and do what you want. The risk of scarring should not change any. And if it ever is a problem with your new tattoo, we will be ready to take that one off too.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

You may tattoo over an area that has had a tattoo removed by laser

+3

once the tattoo you don't like is removed with laser, you may, once the inflammation calms down, have a different tattoo placed. The risk of scarring should be the same whether you had a previous tattoo or not.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tattoo over lasered area

+1
You can certainly get another tattoo in that area but  I would be certain to wait several months until the treated area has healed up from the laser removal.  For tattoo removal please consult with a board certified dermatologist with experience with tattoo removal.

Michele S. Green, MD

Best thing to do, this is safe.

+1
Absolutely, this is by far the best method of removing a tattoo, what we call laser assisted cover ups. Dermatologists fade the tattoo to a point where by your tattooist can be confident of placing another tattoo over the faded ones. This, in my opinion is the best method of 'partial removal' as less treatments are needed for fading compared to removal. 

Working in with your tattooist is the key to success. This is where a dermatologist works with a tattoo artist in a team to achieve the best results in the shortest and least possible sessions. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Tattoo Removal

+1
In order to remove a tattoo, you must wait 6 weeks from the time it has been placed. We are unable to tell how many passes over the tattoo it takes, it depends on your bodies ability o break to the tattoo and get rid of the ink. Every patient is different. We know that black does better than color, smaller is better than larger, non-smokers do better than smokers, older tattoos do better than newer and tattoos close to the heart does better then on the extremities.
The R20 means that the tattoo can be removed in less visits to the office.
You will be able to fade the tattoo with laser to get a cover up. Some patients have a chance of scaring with any laser but there are different techniques that cna minimize risk of scars. 

Eric Schweiger, MD

In general it is safe to retattoo over an area previously treated with tattoo laser

+1

Your tattoo artist will likely have some thoughts on this as well, but in general it is considered safe to tattoo over an area that has had previous laser tattoo removal provided it has healed well. Make sure that the reason you wanted it removed in the first place aren't duplicated with the new tattoo!

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal and New Tattoos

+1

After laser treatments to remove tattoo ink, it is safe to get a new tattoo in the same area.  Depending on the colors of the old tattoo and what your plans are for the new one, you may be able to get a new tattoo after a few sessions or laser treatments if the old tattoo fades enough.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon