3 Weeks Post-Op and Nose Tip Was Over Corrected, Now I Have A Piggy Nose, Will This Possibly Change?

I'm 3 weeks post-op and I'm worrying about my nose... It looks very upturned and I don't know if it'll stay that way. I had an open septorhinoplasty, reduce a bump and correct a droppy nose with a strut! My nose is taped (my ps wants to prevent weight on the bridge), he says that my nasal tip will drop but I'm nervous looking at me right now. Why the tape? Why my nose looks too upturned? will it drop after the tape is removed? The collumella looks big due to swelling? will it shrink?

Upturned tip 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty, will this get better?

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and yes, your nose will surely change and improve from where it is at 3 weeks post Rhinoplasty.  How much it will improve and in what exact manner and location I can't predict as I have no idea what your nose looked like in the beginning and what was done to your nose during the Rhinoplasty

I can tell you that the tip can drop in position but it doesn't have to.  You should have this converstaion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

3 weeks post rhinoplasty

+2

At 3 weeks post rhinolplasty, your concerns are very common. Tissues are swollen, sometimes the tip is upturned more than one would like( also sometimes from swelling).

+2

Without a posted photo very hard to advise. Best to allow more healing time. Or obtain a second opinion in person. 

Piggy nose after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Jenn,

It's hard to give you advice without pictures. But, let me just say this...

You are way too early in the healing process to worry. It will take almost an entire year for all the swelling to subside and for you to appreciate your surgeon's work. Please follow his recommendations and wait it out. If by then, you are still not happy, then seek a second opinion. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Nose 3 weeks post rhinoplasty

+2

The best thing to do is stay in contact with your plastic surgeon. you trusted him or her to do the surgery. If you are losing confidence, then spend the consultation fee and get a second opinion from someone else in the area.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Healing After Rhinoplasty

+1

Three weeks after a rhinoplasty is too early to tell the final shape of your nose. It will take months for your nose to heal and take shape. In general, the tip of the nose will tend to drop over time after a rhinoplasty and it is not unusual for some patients to complain that the nose looks "piggy" initially only to have the tip drop into place over the next few weeks/months. In addition, you had an open rhinoplasty which will tend to lead to more swelling than the closed approach. The taping is to help with the swelling of your nose. The columella should also improve along with the rest of the nose as the swelling subsides. 

Gary Motykie, MD

Need to wait, 3 weeks is very early

+1

You need to wait, at 3 weeks you are still in the healing phase.  Tips can drop, but it will take time.  Make sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Tape

+1

You are very early in the healing process. Yes, tips can drop but, slowly. You need to go back to your surgeon for follow up.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD