Can I go in Public 6 days Post Open Rhinoplasty?

-19 yr old caucasion female - getting septum straightened, tip refined, hump shaved down -open nosed rhinoplasty Basically just trying to get an accurate idea of how I will look because I have an important meeting 6 days after surgery that cant be moved.

Looking presentable 6 days after rhinoplasty

+2

An important meeting 6 days after any facial surgical procedure is fairly soon.  There is a good chance that brusing and swelling can still be present and noticeable that soon after your procedure.  If you are getting your nasal bones fractured you have the added chance of getting brusied lower eyelids.  I would space a little more time between your procedure and an important event.

Dr Remus Repta

Healing from Rhinoplasty

+2

I wouldn't plan on being at that important meeting 6 days after surgery.  Your surgeon should go through this with you.  If you are having a hump removed, you are having your nasal bones cut, and that means a splint.  The custom is to leave a splint on for one week.  Typically, on the seventh day when I remove the splint, my patients have slight bruising in the lower eyelid area.  This may cover with make-up or it may not.  If you are having an "open" approach you will also have sutures that are clearly visible on the under side of your nose.  I typically remove these at 7 days as well.  Perhaps your surgeon will remove these things a day early, but I wouldn't plan on looking your best just yet.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Socializing after rhinoplasty

+2

I would not recommend socializing for at least a week after rhinoplasty. Stitches, splints in and outside nose are not removed until 1 week.  Bruising, swelling and pain are usually present. I tell my patients their nose will look better than preop at 2 weeks after surgery, and they usually don't want to socialize until after stiches and splints are removed at the earliest. On the other hand,  I have seen a patient 3 days after open rhinoplasty out in a busy restaurant who just didn't seem to care!

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op appearance.

+2

You need to really think about your meeting another week if appearance is key. You may still have your splint on, but if not will likely still have some bruising and certainly will have tip swelling.. At two weks your bruisng will likely be gone and although there will still be swelling you won't feel self conscious about it.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Public viewing post Rhinoplasty

+1

At six days ,after the surgery you described, you will still be very swollen.  Your surgeon may still have a splint across your nose.  The majority of bruising will probably be resolved by then, but not the swelling.  The best person to ask this question is your surgeon.  Good luck.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Going Public 6 Days after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

You can go public 6 days after your open rhinoplasty, but you will not be able to camouflage all of the swelling and bruising. Your only choices will be to change the date of your surgery or your meeting, or think up a great story.

Can I go in public 6 days after an Open Rhinoplasty?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, No you'll most likely not look appropriate for an important in person meeting 6 days after an Open Rhinoplasty with tip work and dorsal hump removal that most often requires breaking the bones.  I would keep the nasal cast on for 1 week after any Rhinoplasty which means you'd be taped with a cast at 6 days for your meeting.  After cast removal, the nose will be swollen and you may have bruising under and around the eyes.  I'd suggest more like a month or two as a reasonable time frame, not 6 days. 

Going out in public 6 days after rhinoplasty

+1

After 6 days you'll likely still have your external cast/tape on your nose. Even if the cast is removed a little earlier you should expect to have some swelling and bruising of your nose in addition to a healing small incision on your columella.

You certainly are physically able to go out in public after 6 days, but whether you'd want to go to an important meeting at that point is another matter.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Should wait at least a week or two after surgery

+1

You should wait at least a week or two after your surgery before you can expect to look presentable for an important meeting.  Normally the bandages are not even taken off for 7 days after surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD