Swelling Under Chin 5 Weeks Post Neck Sculpting and Mid Facelift?

5 wks ago I had neck sculpting and mid facelift. My incisions are in front of and behind my ears. I dont have an incision under my chin. There is some swelling under my chin and on my neck. I went to the doctor yesterday, and they used some ultra sound on my neck. I am concerned that the skin under my chin and neck will become stretched and I will still have a sagging neckline. I wore my neck strap for 11 days after surgery. Is there any chance that this area will pull up more as time goes by?

Swelling under Chin at 5 Weeks after Liposuction

+1

Swelling under the chin at 5 weeks should be improving, but this area can still be lumpy and swollen.   This depends upon the amount of fat removed the amount of loose skin prior to surgery and individual healing characteristics.

Swelling under my chin after a neck liposculpting

+1

Hi Cindyloohoo57, swelling 5 weeks after liposuction of the neck is not unusual however it should definitely be progressively improving. It sounds like your surgeon was ruling out any type of fluid collection by doing an u/s. If the area is not infected and there is no evidence of a fluid collection I would anticipate that it should gradually resolve and you should have a good result. It is reasonable to wear your compression garment. Make sure that you follow up with your surgeon and are compliant with his or her recommendations.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Swelling After Mid Facelift

+1

It is difficult to know how exactly you will continue to heal throughout your recovery process. 5 weeks post op is still relatively early, and there is a decent chance that everything may work out well. It's important to follow the post operative care outlined by your plastic surgeon, as well as continuing to see your plastic surgeon on a regular basis for follow up appointments. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Swelling under chin after facelift

+1

Thank you for your question. The swelling that occurs under the chin after a facelift is often the last place to resolve. Gravity draws the swelling in that direction, and it can take a fair amount of time for it to resolve. It is not uncommon to have some swelling even after 5 weeks.

The best thing to preach is patience. The swelling will resolve eventually, and the final results after a facelift take 3-6 months to become apparent. Gentle massage can be used, as can ultrasound to help speed this process. However, your skin will not be stretched and should gradually contract as the swelling dissipates.

Best of luck with your continued recovery and enjoy your refreshed face.

Jeff Rockmore 

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after neck sculpting

+1

Swelling under the chin is normal after facial lift surgery -

Gravity pulls fluid down. Ultrasound and light massage might help. 

But truly it needs time. The average trend:

• worst face lift swelling week 1
  • swelling noticeably subsides - week 2
  • more swelling gone - week 6
  • final disappearance of face lift swelling - month 6 -18.

When I had my facial surgery, I had a little double chin for months...then it disappeared.

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Swelling under chin after face lift

+1

Because of gravity, swelling from facial surgery settles into the area under the chin.  This gets better over time.  You can help by doing gentle massage, applying elastic support in the evenings, and minimizing salt intake.

It is generally wise to allow 6 months to pass after facial aesthetic surgery before assessing the final results.

I hope this is helpful

John Q. Cook, MD

Give it time and don't worry that the skin will stretch out

+1

Great question, and a common one after facelift surgery.  It sounds like your plastic surgeon performed some liposuction under your chin (we call it the submentum) and you have some expected postop swelling. 

Swelling in this area is often palpably firm and visible. I encourage my patients to gently massage the area after a few weeks, both circular and along the direction of the lymphatics (down and out).  Ultrasound can help the process occur more quickly.

It commonly takes at least a few months for all the swelling in this area to completely resolve.  Do not worry about stretching of the skin.  Swelling is almost never enough to cause your results to be permanently diminished.  Definitely follow-up with your doctor, though, to make sure there isn't something else like a hematoma that should be addressed.

Anthony Youn, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon