Black Eye and Right Side of Upper Lip is Numb/tingly? (photo)

I fell into a table almost a week ago. My left black eye is gone and my right black eye is healing slowly, but the area around the right side of my upper lip and lower cheek is still tingly/numb. The only bruising/swelling left is around my right eye, and the pain isn't bad anymore. The numbness is just irritating, and am wondering if there's anything I can do to speed up the healing process.

Black Eye and Right Side of Upper Lip is Numb/tingly After hitting Right cheek

+1

Getting hit in the eye of the cheek may cause indirect or direct injury to the nerve giving sensation to the cheek. Occasionally, fracture to the floor of the eye socket cause the eyeball to fall through the floor and the fractured bone can disrupt the nerve before it exists the cheek bone. In the vast number of cases, this resolves by itself. But you should be followed by a Plastic surgeon.

Black Eye and Right Side of Upper Lip is Numb/tingly?

+1

Beyond a week there isn't much to do to speed the healing process. Tylenol and Ibuprofen will be helpful to relieve pain and inflammation. Given the severity of your injury and the numbness you describe, I'd recommend that you see an ENT or Facial Plastic Surgeon to ensure that you didn't fracture your nose, eye socket or cheek bone. If not, you should heal completely and your sensation will likely return over the next few weeks to months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon