Too-Straight Nose After Rhinoplasty

Basically I had rhinoplasty a year ago,to remove a bump and reduce my nose in size.My problem is that now my nose in my opinion looks too straight almost like a slope ,but not a ski slope where it goes up more ,rather a slope that goes too much into a straight line.I was wondering ,if there is any way to make the nose naturally curve more and maybe add a small bump to the nose ,so it looks more natural.I know alot of people ask for a perfect straight nose ,so is what I want out of the ordinary?

Straight Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although unusual, over the last 35 years I've had several patients ask to have a hump maintained or added during rhinoplasty surgery. I recently had a man ask that his nasal fractures be repaired without changing his large  "Roman Nose". Clearly describe your goals with your surgeon.

Too straight of a nose.

+1

Yes it is possible to correct this without a doubt with some type of graft. That being said, people generally love the so-called aquiline nose, and it is hard to achieve. Most surgeons are conservative and leave a bit of a bump. Most say it looks more natural, and it generally does, in the sense it is more common. But people don't always want to hae a common look so to speak. Also, surgeons are conservative in regards to the bump because over resection causes the so-called saddle nose deformity, which is really unsightly and depressing for most patients to deal with. It's something, I would say, you should have a frank conversation about with your surgeon, but keeping your mind open in regards to the process and what can be done and what was done and achieved. It's not easy to work with the human body, especially noses--they are living tissue and not clay.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Nose too straight after rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to create a bump on the bridge of the nose by adding a cartilage graft harvested from the internal portion of the nose and placed along the bridge line. This will add a slight hump to the side profile.  

Nose too straight after rhinoplasty

+1

This is a complex question, as evidenced by the wide range of answers you have already received. It is difficult to provide you with a good answer without seeing some photos, so these would be helpful. But I will tell you that patients will sometimes tell me that they want to maintain a subtle bump on the bridge of their nose, for fear of having an operated look. Others will actually want a 'perfectly straight' nose. It just depends on the patient. This is where preoperative imaging can really help, so that patient can communicate their desires more effectively to the surgeon.

I agree with some of the other answers. First of all, be very cautious if you decide you want a revision. Discuss this in great detail with your surgeon to make sure that you are on the same page. Revision surgery tends to have a higher complication rate, and it requires much more surgical planning and skill. I agree with the surgeon who mentioned that 'the enemy of good is better.' Understand that there is no possible way to guarantee a rhinoplasty result, and there is no such thing as a 'perfect' result. Striving for perfection can be a dangerous road in rhinoplasty. If, on the other hand, you are very dissatisfied with the result, then you can discuss this with your surgeon and inquire about the possibility of a revision.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Leave good Rhinoplasty result alone

+1

I have seen good results worsen after attempts at revision Rhinoplasty. Without a deformity or complication, I would learn to accept the results and see how you feel about it in a year. Many patients find more acceptance over time. Be cautious. Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to Reduce Bump makes Nose Too Straight

+1

Hi lilyrella in manchester,

Without photographs, it's difficult to provide more specific answers. Generally, reducing a bump on the nose is a common rhinoplasty request. While many prefer the bump removed, some request to maintain the bump or to reduce it slightly with nasal surgery. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Too Straight After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Lily,

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon about your concerns.  There are some things that can be done to help you achieve your goals.  Judiciously injected filler may be the answer or revision surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Can a nose be "too straight" after rhinoplasty?

+1

Actually, the answer can in some cases be "yes!" But when it is virtually impossible for any surgeon, however experienced or capable, to guarantee exactly how every patient will swell, scar, and ultimately heal and settle into a final result, how can it be your doctor's fault that it is "too perfect?" Most of my colleagues' answers include useful information, and the most important is that none of us can comment or answer as accurately and honestly as your own surgeon. After a year of healing, your nose has reached it's "final" appearance post-op, so anyone who advises that you should wait and see is only deferring having to actually assess your concern.

What I "hear" as I read your question is that you do not like the fact that your nose somehow has an "operated" look, or that "people 'know'" you have undergone cosmetic rhinoplasty. Or is this your own self-awareness that you unconsciously "telegraph" to someone you might notice admiring your nose? As in--OMG, does he/she know I've had a nose job!?

The short answer to can changes be made to make your nose less "perfect" is: yes. In fact, you may get your wish--it could look absolutely terrible! The long answer is still relatively short: relax, and ask your surgeon about a temporary filler such as one of the HAs (Restylane, Juvederm, etc.), a longer-acting filler such as Radiesse, or even hydroxyapatite granules (this requires a small, local-anesthesia procedure). If you love these results, then a small cartilage graft can be placed for a "permanent" result. But beware; asking for a change can end up giving an unanticipated disaster that neither you or your surgeon will like, especially given your present "perfectly straight" nose.

Remember: the enemy of good enough is better!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - too straight nose

+1

I'm trying to visualize what you mean - but it's difficult to figure out exactly what your nose looks like without a photo.  If you want a little bit of a nasal dorsal bump, you can have some filler placed which is an office procedure.  I'd recommend going back to your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  I'm sure he/she would be happy to help you achieve the look you want.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Nasal Dorsum Contour

+1

Having before and after photos would help providing you with the best overall option for treatment (surgical, non surgical, no treatment).  Discussion with your operating surgeon and imaging would be helpful as well so you can see together if you have the same goals.  Certainly a quick fix is injecting a temporary filler (HA) to create a "bump" or contour to the dorsum of the nose.  If you do not like it the filler will resorb over time or could be dissolved if you really do not like the appearance.

Christopher Tolan, MD
Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon