Is 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty Too Late for Kenalog Shots

i live quite far away from my surgeon and wont be going back till 3 months have past after my rhinoplasty. i have alot of swelling in my tip which im guessing is because this is my 2nd rhinoplasty. but my tip is so big! and im seeing supratip swelling which worries me as i didnt have that before my surgery. would getting steroid injections at 3 months post revision be too late to fix this? also,my nose looked so lovely after cast removal it was just like i wanted. but now its so bulbous again.

Steroid Injections Post Rhinoplasty - Be Careful!

+4

Steroid injections into the nose post rhinoplasty must be done with great care and strict indications as well as proper placement of the steriod to prevent problems

These are the 5 elements to guide you-

1.Make sure your rhinoplasty surgeon uses a dilute steriod and a small amount

2. Make sure he is experienced so he does not inject it into the dermis -too superficial -or the skin will atrophy  which is a big problem

3. Best candidates are patients with thick skin, revision rhinoplasty patients with thick hard previous nasal tips

4. Perform the steroid injections early post op , small doses, go deep and use massage

5. If in doubt , don't do it unless your rhinoplasty surgeon has the experience or expertise to do these injections

Steroid injections 3 months after rev. rhinoplasty

+3

That is an excellent question, and one that a lot of patients ask me. 

The short answer is no. There is a natural progression for the nose to heal after surgery, this will take longer for revision rhinoplasty. This process cannot be shortened. Steroid injections will not speed the process, and it may actually create more problems. 

The toughest aspect of revision rhinoplasty is to be patient, but it is the safest.

Best of luck.

Dr SIegel

Houston, TX

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid Injections post Rhinoplasty

+2
It is more common to have increased swelling with a revision Rhinoplasty and often times decreased patience. Time is on your side and the answer to the question is three months to late for steroid or kenalog Injections is no. I actually would wait longer then three months and give the process time. Each patients skin thickness and post surgical swelling differs. Speak with your surgeon and discuss your concerns and hopefully this will provide some peace of mind! Be patient! Best regards and quick healing to you!

Michael Elam, MD

Kenalog at three months post rhinoplasty

+2

While there are some surgeons that inject kenalog to the tip or nose in an attempt to diminish swelling, I am not a big fan of this because of the sequelae of the steroids(atrophy and depigmentation, and hypervascularity).

3 Months Post Rhinoplasty Too Late for Kenalog Shots? No

+2

No, it is not too late. A higher strength may be beneficial, but must be injected correctly. In this later period, the Kenalog will help to slow down the collagen production pathway and allow more degradation. Please be patient, however, as this process may take weeks to months.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post operative steroid nasa injections

+2

Three months is not too long for use of kenalog injections if these are required but it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Steroid Injections Post Rhinoplasty Revision

+2

Hi Dublin,

Best to give your rhinoplasty surgeon a call and voice your concerns.  Your surgeon will direct you.  Good luck and be well. 

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Kenalog injection into the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Cortisone injections into the nasal tip will accelerate the process of inflammation and edema resolution.  However, they are not without risks.  If you are considering this treatment, speak to your surgeon about the known risks and the decision to move forward with the injection.  I would recommend a dilute solution injected deep into the tissue. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Steroid Injections 3 Months post Rhinoplasty

+1

Steroid injections, if indicated, are still effective 3 months after rhinoplasty.  Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon before having any injections.