If I Stop Smoking 2 Week Before my TT Will I Be Ok?

if i stop smoking 2 week before my surgery will i be ok

Better than nothing but 6 weeks would be better

+2

Many patients struggle before their surgery with quitting smoking. I realized quitting is quite impossible for some, but decreasing the number of cigarettes is a big step. Some patients are able to stop smoking completely and if you can 2 weeks prior the surgery sounds great. Your body will get a chance to cleanse from nicotine and that will help out with the healing process. Ideally you should be at least 6 weeks without a single cigarette

Stop smoking 2 weeks before tummy tuck

+2

no, 2 weeks is not enough in my opinion. Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is one of the procedures that due to the elevation of the skin envelope requires excellent blood supply. smoking causes vasospasm and constriction of blood vessels and therefore lead to some of the skin dying. I personally would recommend at least 3 months before proceeding after stopping smoking.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

If I stop smoking 2 weeks before my TT, will I be OK?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the skin/tissue, and nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Smoking and tummy tuck don't mix

+1

I recommend that you stop smoking for at least six weeks prior to tummy tuck and no cigarettes for six weeks after either in order to properly heal.

Smoking poses serious risk for complications in tummy tucks.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Smoking & A Tummy Tuck

+1

I don’t  operate on people that smoke. I think they have a 10 fold increased risk for complications. I recommend the patient stops smoking for 6 weeks before. I do not operate on patients who smoke and desire a procedure that requires skin undermining like a facelift, tummy tuck, breast reduction or mastopexy as the risks for skin loss are too high.  They can stop smoking for 6 weeks and I will reconsider doing their procedure.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Smoking and surgery

+1

I can’t stress it enough: A cigarette habit greatly compromises healing. Smoking triggers the release of skin-damaging free radicals, increases swelling, worsens scarring, and impedes healing by limited blood flow to the skin. If you smoke, you should refrain for at least two weeks before your procedure and two weeks after. That’s a month without nicotine, during a time when you’re likely to be anxious about undergoing and recovering from surgery. Since cutting out cigarettes will undoubtedly frazzle you further, I’d far prefer it, of course, if you started cutting back well before that two-week sentence. It’s a bad idea to be smoking regularly before you have surgery, and an even worse idea after. 

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

No smoking for one month before and after a tummy tuck

+1

Two weeks is absolutely not enough time to quit smoking before a tummy tuck. To be safe, you should quit for at least one month before surgery and stay away from all smoke, even secondary smoke for a month after surgery. A single cigarette can kill your belly skin and absolutely ruin your results. Take this advice very seriously. If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself and can mess up all that you have worked for.  Quit smoking now and quit forever!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Stopping smoking two weeks before surgery

+1

There is absolutely NO way I would operate on a smoker who had only quit two weeks prior to surgery. I require no less than six weeks. I even administer a test that  detects whether the patient is smoke-free or not. The reason myself and some other physicians are strict, isn't for our own health and well-being...it's for yours.  

An abdominoplasty is a big procedure than requires a large incision site.  It is critical to have good blood supply to the incision site.  Smoking constricts blood vessels.  In addition, smokers have a higher infection rate too.

While it's always best to speak with your own physician, I strongly recommend you wait a few more weeks.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

If I Stop Smoking 2 Wks Before my TT Will I Be Ok?Answer:

+1

There are 3 operations that carry the most risk in smokers and they are the "lifting" ones...Breast, Tummy and Face...I recommend to my patients at least 3 weeks before but...there is still a risk of problems including larger areas of dead skin on your tummy. One suggestion as well is that if you sneak a few cigs before surgery, please tell your doctor...They really need to know and may be able to make some changes at surgery to help reduce problems for you..

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nicotine use Before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unfortunately, there can be no guarantees that you will be “okay” despite stopping all nicotine products several weeks before surgery. In other words, complications may still arise despite everyone's best efforts.

Please make sure you have selected  a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.