TT Incision has been Infected for Two Weeks, the Hibiclens / Silver Sulfa is not Helping, What Should I Do? (photo)

I am a 30YO women who had a full tummy tuck (tubeless) & breast aug 4 weeks ago. I noticed leakage (yellow/green) from a spot on the tummy incision (breasts look fine) about 2 weeks ago which soon spread to about 4 areas. (No fluid build-up on ultrasound). My PS instructed me to shower and clean the wound with Hibiclens twice daily; apply Silver Sulfa 1% cream & cover w/ non-stick pads; and take 500mg of Cipro twice daily. It has been 2 weeks with no improvement; should I be concerned?

+2

Follow your surgeon's advise in wound healing. Sometimes it can take longer to attain full closure. 

Tummy Tuck Delayed Healing?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I do not think you have too much to worry about. Although frustrating,  your tummy tuck incision line may have this type of appearance for a few weeks.  There are a variety of different ways to treat the superficial separation;  I think your surgeon is using a perfectly acceptable method. I'm glad that you are continuing to follow up closely with him/her.

Delayed healing from an abdominoplasty

+1

You may have a small suture knot infection causing your fever.  Especially if you have an open wound or a red appearing area along your incision line. All open wound are infection. You should follow your surgeon's advice for wound care and management.  You may also have some degree of marginal necrosis which will delay your healing.

Infection After Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on the pictures you show, it looks like you should heal fine and you are doing the right things. Keep following up with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck wound infection

+1
I'm sorry to hear about your complication. My question would be what a wound culture disclosed and whether the Cipro is the appropriate antibiotic for your circumstances. You should be continuing to followup with your plastic surgeon regularly. Given the present condition of the scar, you will want to be very focused on its healing and the potential use of silicone sheeting or other topical modalities during the healing process.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Infected tummy tuck incision-what to do now?

+1

Hello!

Without you being in front of me , it is hard to tell. However, i can say that it is not as bad as you think!. Keep on with your doctor's instructions. Healing can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on your compliance, your helath, smoking, drinking, activity status.  Should you have further questions, it is best you see your plastic surgeon wekly if necessary,

Dr Jeneby

Thomas T. Jeneby, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon