Hard Lump Under Belly Button 2 Years Post Tummy Tuck, Is it Scar Tissue? (photo)

I have had my tummy tuck about 2 years ago, and still there seems to be a hard lump directly under my belly button. More specifically, the area that is still numb. It is not painful, however it does seem to tense up with my abdominals when I do a ab work. Is this scar tissue? Or did the surgeon mess up?

Hard lump after tummy tuck

+3
This could reflect a scar tissue, a suture reaction or fat necrosis. In all likelihood, a fluid collection should have been reabsorbed long ago. Definitely see your plastic surgeon in followup. I do not think that this is represents any surgical error but issues in healing should always be brought to the attention of the surgeon at the earliest possible opportunity.

Lump after Tummy Tuck

+2

The lump may be some fat that became hard (fat necrosis), a suture reaction (if permanent sutures were used), or a fluid collection (seroma). These minor problems can be treated with a small office procedure. Ask your surgeon to evaluate it and make sure it is not a hernia (unlikely).

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

The “hard lump” may represent scar tissue or fat necrosis.  Neither represents “surgeon messed up”.

I was just follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will be able to make a diagnosis based on your physical examination.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm