Can I Stop Wearing my Compression Garment 12 Weeks Post-op TT?

I am 12 weeks post-op tummy tuck with a hernia and muscle repair today. I resumed exercise at about 4 weeks, gradually of course, and at this point I am feeling pretty good. I would like to start lifting heavier weight and trying sprint intervals again. My compression garment is starting to annoy me a bit and at this point I am curious about how healed the muscle repair is and if it is safe for me to start weening off of the compression garment. Thank you very much.

Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck?

+5

I suggest you “burn” the garment at your earliest convenience.

Binder serves no useful purpose at 12 weeks post tummy tuck

+3

There is absolutely no reason to wear a binder at 12 weeks as it is serving no useful purpose at this time. Typically, muscle healing occurs by 6 - 8 weeks ... so enjoy the freedom. (Did you discuss this with your surgeon?)

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Ask your surgeon.

+2

Sounds fine to me but I would ask your surgeon as she or he actually saw the defect and did the repair.  All the best

Dr Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Compression can go 12 weeks post tummy tuck

+2

The compression wrap or binder is helpful for about four weeks after tummy tuck, and at 12 weeks it is ready to go. With your gradual exercise, the muscle repair should be safe.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Remove Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck & Hernia Repair

+2

Most patients can stop the compression garment 2 to 4 weeks after a tummy tuck. Some surgeons recommend longer if there was a significant hernia repair done at the same time. Check with the surgeon who repaired the hernia to be sure it is OK, but most tissue healing is done after 6 weeks so it is unlikely that you need to keep wearing it.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment at 12 weeks

+2

Yes, at 12 weeks you should be able to discontinue wearing your compression garment.  You can continue wearing your abdominal binder or similar compression device if it feels comfortable but it should not be necessary to do so at this time unless you are still dealing with healing issues such as a seroma cavity or pseudobursa (thick pocket of scar tissue, often fluid filled).

Remus

Remus Repta, MD

Garment after a tummy tuck and muscle repair

+2

I think your muscles are essentially healed at this point and it is OK to remove the garment and go about your normal activity without it, including exercising.

Julio Garcia, MD

Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck

+1
The compression garment should be worn day and night for 3 weeks, removing it only to shower or wash the garment. From 3 to 6 weeks, the garment should be worn during the day, but you can take it off at night. Strenuous physical activity (like lifting weights, abdominal crunches) is not permitted until 6 weeks after surgery. This is the advice I generally give to my patients, but you should ask your surgeon for theirs. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Time to discontinue the compression garment

+1
At three months postop, there is no reason to continue to wear the garment . It is probably irritating you because, since so much of the swelling has gone now, it no longer fits or serves its original purpose.

Robert L. Kraft, MD