When Can I Start Raising my Arms over my Head After BA?

I'm a flight attendant and will need to raise my arms above my head to close the overhead bins. I do run on a regular basis so feel I'm pretty 'in shape'. When can I expect to return to work and would it benefit me to wear a tight sports bra for the first few weeks as well? I've waited a long time for my boobs and don't want to mess things up. Thanks

Raising arms above head after Breast Augmentation.

+2

Patients typically wait about 1-2 weeks before lifting their arms above their heads after Breast Augmentation.  The main thing to remember is don't do anything that is uncomfortable or causing pain.  You should be able to return to work in about 1-2 weeks, but lift your arms slowly at first, and return to normal as you continue to feel no discomfort.  Do not lift anything at first, but after one week, you can start lifting light things and progress to heavier things as long as it does not hurt.  Some tightness may still be present, but that is normal after surgery.  If wearing a sports bra is more comfortable for you then you should wear it until you feel your ready to switch back.  Make sure to follow up with your surgeon for his opinion on when to advance your acitivity.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

In about a week or two

+1
Generally, I advise patients that they can start doing more intense physical activity at 3 weeks, and upper body strength exercises at 6 weeks after surgery. If you don't lift heavy luggage in your job or things like that, then you can probably return to work in a week or two  if your recovery is going well. However, you should ask your surgeon as they may have different guidelines. A good supportive sports bra will help reduce swelling and is a good idea, but again you should ask your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Time of Work for Flight Attendent

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for recovery. Typically, patients can return to light activity after 5 to 7 days. More strenuous activity may take 3 to 6 weeks. Consult with your board certified surgeon as he or she will understand the scope of the surgery and the specifics of you. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Activities after a breast augmentation

+1

The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Raising arms after breast augmentation

+1

Post-operative instruction will vary among plastic surgeons.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation.  In my practice, my patients are allowed to raise their arms to perform daily activities such as brushing hair, taking shower, etc soon after the surgery.  I ask them not to push, pull, jump, or carry heavy objects for 2-3 weeks. They wear surgical bra or sports bra for three weeks.   If patients have non-active desk jobs, they normally return to theirs jobs within 3-4 days.  As a flight attendent, I know that you have to close heavy overhead bins and doors.  You probably need to take about three weeks off before returning to your work.

Sugene Kim, MD

Lifting your arms.

+1

The answer depends a bit on how your implants are placed.  Depending on this, full activity within a week, in my experience, is often realistic.  There are cases where I suggest waiting longer.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Raising arms after breast augmentation surgery

+1

I recommend that my patients start carefully lifting their arms same day as surgery.  I feel doing this light exercise helps minimize discomfort. However, be mindful of your body and don't over do it.  Additionally, do not lift weights or other heavy objects for 2-4 weeks after surgery.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Movement after breast augmentation

+1

I do not limit movement after breast augmentation.  I have the patient refrain from extensive activity for about 1 week.  After that,  no limitations unless it causes excess pain.  Donald R. Nunn  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Raising your arms after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

You should really ask your surgeon what he/she recommends and follow the post operative instructions that are given to you by your surgeon.  I ask my patients to wear a surgical bra for 4 weeks and during that time, to also limit their arm movements and NOT lift anything over 10 lbs.  The less you move your arms (and therefore the pectoralis muscle), the better for recovery after breast augmentation surgery. I ask patients to keep the elbows to their size for the 1st 2 weeks after presentation surgery. Patients are also asked to refrain from any heavy lifting or strenuous upper body exercises for at least 6 weeks. Best wishes.