Being a Small A Cup, Will a Moderate Profile, 265cc Silicone Implant Provide a Natural Look for Me?

I am 5'1, and 100 pounds with a very petite/small frame. I have already consulted with my doctor and she believes that this size will be best. I am afraid they may be too small but I aiming towards a general "C cup". I want them to look natural, but I also do not want to regret my decision and think they are too small.

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking, the bigger the implants, the higher the risk of complications.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Correct volume?

+1

Its har to advise you on size without seeing photos.  The most common reason for dissatisfaction after breast augmentation is that size is too small so I would suggest that you have the doctor try different sized implants in your bra to assess size before your surgery.  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Implant Size for Natural Look

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size.

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Questions on appropriate implant size for breast augmentation

+1

Without any photographs and a careful examination, what implant size and style would be appropriate for you is pure conjecture. You may want to further discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as regards these issues. It may also be helpful for you to seek a second opinion for another perspective.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast augmentation and implant size

+1

AS for the right implant for you, it is very difficult to determine this without an exam.  If your surgeon suggested this volume to you, you may want to do the baggy test with water or rice to see if you like that volume.

Implant size

+1

It is difficult to tell you what would be the best size implant without examination or photographs. With you being 5'1 and 100 pounds with a very petite/small frame and small A cup size breast, a gel implant of 265cc should make you a small C cup or large B cup and should look very natural if it is placed subpectoral. You might ask your surgeon if you could try a sizer implant with that volume in a bra and look to see if you like that volume before surgery. Your surgeon may also use a sizer implant during surgery before making the final decision on the volume. 

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, implant size

+1

There is really no reason to take a patient to the operating room with only one size implant available, because 3 or 4 different sizes may look good on your frame. Ask the surgeon to have several sizes available, then show him medical post op photos you can download and print from the internet that are the look you prefer. Your surgeon can then try different volume sizers in the pocket during surgery to find the best match for you. Having said that, based on your ht., wt., and bra size, I think the 265cc or the 286cc size will please you and meet your requirements.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

A cup to C cup no guarantees with implant choice

+1

It is very likely you will have a beautiful and natural appearance with the 265cc implant but as a general rule most of my patients choose one size up from what they initially like(or what I recommended) because they have heard so many women state that they wished they had gone up one implant size.  When we say 'going up one implant size'  we mean 'the next implant size on the chart' and not 'up a cup size'.  One size up on the implant chart usually means in the range of an extra 30cc.  Since implants are usually placed under the muscle and this compresses the implant and may reduce projection, going up 30cc seems to help achieve a woman's goal.  You may want to choose the 286cc, or the 304cc implant (the next sizes up on the chart).  Good luck. 

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

With your petite build this may well be a good choice for implant size but I have not examined you and no surgeon can guarantee an implant size. Many patients if asked six months after surgery  would prefer to be a little bigger. If I have a choice, I will use a slightly larger implant. You surgeon can use a sizer implant at the time of surgery and have several different sizes available. I am sure he or she will do everything to meet your expectations. I would place the implants submuscularly.

Richard Linderman, MD