Nipple Swelling - Will It Go Away?

I had breast augmentation (400cc silicone mod+ unders, crease incision) 5 days ago and ever since my nipples have been very puffy and swollen. I'm very concerned about it. Will the swelling go down. Also, today my nipples started becoming very sensitive to temperature and my clothes brushing against them. Can you explain why the swelling might be happening?

Nipple swelling

You have not included a photo and this makes the judgement somewhat restricted.  However, this may be the case with your results.

If you examine your pre op photo, you may see a puffy nipple complex or a "herniated areola" that can occur with several kinds of conditions including tubular breasts.  You may find that this was seen preoperatively and now it is accentuated by the augmentation.  If you had it preopertively, it will not go down toatlly.  If you did not, then any swelling in your nipple complex will settle down.

It is not uncommon to have a change of sensitivity of the nipples after an augmentation but this should settle down over time.  It would be good to send in a picture so we can more accurately asess your situation.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Swelling and Recovery Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Most of your swelling should subside at around six weeks. It is very important to follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon throughout your recovery. Best of luck.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity after augmentation

Sensitivity is common after breast augmentation. This should gradually ease off. Hypersensitivity can result from swelling inside the breast as a result of the insertion of the implant.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Nipple swelling after breast augmentation

Swelling after breast augmentation is normal.  You had a "trauma" to your breast; and you have implant under the tissue.  You would see swelling both on the breast as well as nipple areolar complex.  It usually takes 4-6 weeks for the swelling to decrease; it may take longer.  Your surgery was only 5 days ago; please give it some time for your final result.

Swelling after breast augmentation

Thanks for the question.

Swelling following breast augmentation is normal, the nipple-areolar complex included. GIven that you are less than a week out from surgery you are very early in the healing process. Additionally, the swelling can impart hypersensitivity to the nipple-areolar complex.  80 % of swelling will resolve by 6 weeks post-op, with the remaining 20% taking as long as 4 months.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Nipple Swelling post Augmentation

General swelling after augmentation is not unusual and generally resolves by 4 weeks.  I do not typically see nipple swelling out of proportion to breastl post op swelling with the use of an inframammary incision though. I would have your surgeon evaluate and follow this closely.    

It is not uncommon for the nipples to be hypersensitive during the early postoperative period.   This will subside as the swelling resolves.   At the recommendation of your surgeon, I would begin gentle massage exercises that will also lessen the hypersensitivity.  

I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

Paul S. GIll, M.D.

GIll Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Nipple swelling

It is certainly normal to have swelling after a breast augmentation.  I would give it some time to heal before worrying too much.

Breast sensitivity after breast augmentation.

For the first month after breast augmentation recovery, your breasts will be very sensitive. They may also be swollen for up to four or five weeks. Though you will be able to get up and move around after about 48 hours, there may be some lingering side effects for a couple weeks to a month.

Nipple swelling after breast augmentation...

Like any tissue that has undergone surgery, your breasts and nipples will definitely experience some swelling after surgery as part of the normal process.  This swelling should improve over the next few weeks and it is generally no cause for concern. 

I would touch base with your Plastic Surgeon and let them know your concerns.

I hope that helps!