Nipple Swelling - Will It Go Away?

I had breast augmentation (400cc silicone mod+ unders, crease incision) 5 days ago and ever since my nipples have been very puffy and swollen. I'm very concerned about it. Will the swelling go down. Also, today my nipples started becoming very sensitive to temperature and my clothes brushing against them. Can you explain why the swelling might be happening?

Doctor Answers (8)

Nipple swelling

+1

Hi,

  You have not included a photo and this makes the judgement somewhat restricted.  However, this may be the case with your results.

  If you examine your pre op photo, you may see a puffy nipple complex or a "herniated areola" that can occur with several kinds of conditions including tubular breasts.  You may find that this was seen preoperatively and now it is accentuated by the augmentation.  If you had it preopertively, it will not go down toatlly.  If you did not, then any swelling in your nipple complex will settle down.

  It is not uncommon to have a change of sensitivity of the nipples after an augmentation but this should settle down over time.  It would be good to send in a picture so we can more accurately asess your situation.

 

               Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York


Albany Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Nipple sensitivity after augmentation

+1
Sensitivity is common after breast augmentation. This should gradually ease off. Hypersensitivity can result from swelling inside the breast as a result of the insertion of the implant.

Robert L. Kraft, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Nipple swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Swelling after breast augmentation is normal.  You had a "trauma" to your breast; and you have implant under the tissue.  You would see swelling both on the breast as well as nipple areolar complex.  It usually takes 4-6 weeks for the swelling to decrease; it may take longer.  Your surgery was only 5 days ago; please give it some time for your final result.

Sugene Kim, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

You might also like...

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for the question.

Swelling following breast augmentation is normal, the nipple-areolar complex included. GIven that you are less than a week out from surgery you are very early in the healing process. Additionally, the swelling can impart hypersensitivity to the nipple-areolar complex.  80 % of swelling will resolve by 6 weeks post-op, with the remaining 20% taking as long as 4 months.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Nipple Swelling post Augmentation

+1

General swelling after augmentation is not unusual and generally resolves by 4 weeks.  I do not typically see nipple swelling out of proportion to breastl post op swelling with the use of an inframammary incision though. I would have your surgeon evaluate and follow this closely.    

It is not uncommon for the nipples to be hypersensitive during the early postoperative period.   This will subside as the swelling resolves.   At the recommendation of your surgeon, I would begin gentle massage exercises that will also lessen the hypersensitivity.  

I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

 

Paul S. GIll, M.D.

GIll Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Nipple swelling

+1

It is certainly normal to have swelling after a breast augmentation.  I would give it some time to heal before worrying too much.

Steven Wallach, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Breast sensitivity after breast augmentation.

+1

For the first month after breast augmentation recovery, your breasts will be very sensitive. They may also be swollen for up to four or five weeks. Though you will be able to get up and move around after about 48 hours, there may be some lingering side effects for a couple weeks to a month.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Nipple swelling after breast augmentation...

+1

Like any tissue that has undergone surgery, your breasts and nipples will definitely experience some swelling after surgery as part of the normal process.  This swelling should improve over the next few weeks and it is generally no cause for concern. 

I would touch base with your Plastic Surgeon and let them know your concerns.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.