Weight Lifting After Breast Augmentation

I am 12 weeks post op, BA. I have resumed my weight lifting routine on a much lighter side. When can I resume push ups, dips, pull ups and bench pressing? Can any of these exercises damage the position of my implants? And finally why do they "climb up" or push up when I lift heavy weights, is it dangerous? (I have been using my band when i am lifting to keep this from happening) Thank you!! Its so hard to find info on weightlifting and BAs.

Dynamic Breast or Animation deformity (VIDEO DESCRIPTION)

+3

This is called the Dynamic breast deformity or Animation deformity and is most common wihen the implants are placed  have prepared a video to dicuss this. Prolonged pectoralis contraction may result in pushing the implants towards the outside of your chest.

Weightlifting after breast augmentation

+2

After 12 weeks, you should be able to resume all of your exercises and activities that you were doing before surgery, including weight lifting. You may want to start on machines and hold off on free weights until you feel comfortable with the motions. Check with your surgeon just to me sure.

It sounds like your implants are under the muscle so muscle contraction may push them up.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lifting Weights After Breast Implant Surgery

+2

As a plastic surgeon in Los Angeles, the most common question patients ask is when can they return to exercising and lifting weights. I typically allow my patients to go back to chest exercises after 4 weeks. The reason why your implants move up when you lift heavy weights is because of "deformation activity." What is happening here is that you pectoralis muscles are contracting and literally pushing your implants upwards and sometimes outwards too.

I would clear your exercise routine with your surgeon, but at 3 months, it should be safe to resume exercises such as dips, pull/push ups  and bench press.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Weight lifting after breast augmentation

+2

I feel that after 12 weeks you have a capsule holding the implants in place but heavy weight lifting could still possibly move the implants out of position.  I encourage my patients to get back to pec exercises after 8 weeks but at a permanently lighter level.  Ask your doctor what they want you to do.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Weight lifting after Breast Augmentation

+2

You are 12 weeks after your procedure.  I would clear you to resume activity as tolerated after 4 to 6 weeks. Talk to you plastic surgeon.   

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Heavy Physical Activity after Breast Augmentation

+2

I generally recommend that my patients refrain from heavy lifting or physical activity for 6 weeks to prevent implant migration.   At this point, I encourage the patient to listen to their body and slowly progress activity over several weeks.   If you feel a pulling, tearing, or stretching sensation,  decrease your activity level.  If you are without problems, continue to slowly progress until you reach your full activity level.   

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

When can I lift weights after breast augmentation?

+2

Great question and one that I am always asked by my very active Colorado patients.  In my practice, I suggest that patients begin light exercise about a week after surgery and limit their more strenuous activities (e.g.: yoga, pilates, weight lifting) to around 5-6 weeks after surgery. 

Even after that, many patients will notice some elevation of the implants the day after but this is simply temporary spasm of the pectoralis muscle and will usually resolve with breast implant massage.

Surgical techniques for breast augmentation had dramatically improved over the last 10-15 years and, as a result, patients are getting back to normal activities very quickly with minimal downtime and much less discomfort.

I hope this helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and weight lifting

+2

I tell my patients to wait 6 weeks after surgery before resuming any upper body exercises.  At this time, the implant should be well-settled in its new position.  As far as the implants moving during exercises, this is a common occurrence with implants placed under the muscle.  That motion is unlikely to change much with time.  Also, there is a low chance of harming the implants by lifting heavy weights.

Naveen Setty, MD

Breast Implants and Exercise

+2

Most my patients are allowed to resume their normal exercise routine six weeks after surgery without limits. It would be a good idea to check with your plastic surgeon, as they have all the necessary information with which to make the decision in your case.

More information is available via the link below.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and bodybuilding

+2

Your implant is likely under the muscle and when you activate the muscle while lifting it displaces the implant.

The problem in bodybuilding women is that although they have little body fat you can't put the implant under the muscle because the muscle can squeeze the implant out of position or rarely rupture it during the course of lifting weights such as bench presses. In those with very little body fat the implants may not look good above the musle because they are literaly only coverd by skin. It's a catch 22 so decisions are made on a case by case basis. If you are lifting very heay weights I recommend that you cut the weight way down and increase the number of repititions to avoid rupturing or displacing the implants. Other than that you should be far enough out from surgery that you could do virtually  any activity/exercise you wish.

Aaron Stone, MD