Soccer After Tummy Tuck?

I am 4 wks PO now & in 7 wks soccer season starts & I'd like to play. My brother in law is a nurse & he says I should never play soccer again because I will rip all the muscle repair. He says he knows a lady who had breast augmentation & a year after her surgery, she turned to pick up her child & her implant popped out. (Really? hmm) Now my husband is all worried & doesn't want me to play even though my PS says I'm clear to do anything (gradually) after 6 weeks. What's your advice?

Ok to gradually resume unrestricted physical activity 6 weeks after tummytuck

+1

you should be fine starting to resume vigorous exercise 6 wks after surgery. start gradually and aim to be back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about playing soccer 11 weeks after a tummy tuck

+1

You should contact your plastic surgeon and obtain his/her recommendations regarding this issue of when to play soccer as he/she operated on you. The recommendation that I give my patients is to wait 8 weeks before engaging in fully unrestricted activities which would include soccer. By that time, there should be the most infinitesimal risk of any breakage of the muscle - and you are considering engaging in this after three additional weeks. 

I would say: "Go enjoy yourself!"

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Soccer After Tummy Tuck?

+1

By six weeks of wound healing, all sutured areas will have reached 90% of the strength that will be attained. That is the reason why most patients are permitted to resume full activities by 6 weeks. If your surgeon is satisfied with your wound healing and has released you to play, I would take his advice over the suggestions of someone who has not examined you and didn't do your surgery.

Thanks, best wishes for a good season.

6 Weeks after Tummy Tuck until Exercise

+1

I think most plastic surgeons would agree that 6 weeks after tummy tuck in cases of uncomplicated wound healing is a reasonable length of time to wait until resuming exercise.  Obviously, patients should ease back into exercise to assess tolerance. 

Soccer after a tummy tuck

+1

I normally clear my patients to resume any activity they want, soccer included, 6 weeks post tummy tuck.  I would not think twice about it after your surgeon clears you.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Resuming Exercise After Tummy Tuck

+1

I would talk to your plastic surgeon and get his/her advice as to when he/she feels it is acceptable for you to return to sports.

However, in my practice, I tell my patients they can return to full activity, as they can tolerate it after 6 wks. At that point, the strength of your healing is the strongest it will ever be. So you should be fine.

That being said, after having a big operation, you may feel a little sore returning to strenuous activity. So I advise my patients to get back into it gradually as they can tolerate it. But there's no reason they can't resume full activity by 6 weeks.

So in 7 weeks you should be good to go for soccer season!Hope this helps!

David Cangello, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Once you have waited 6 weeks, the scar has healed to full strength, and will not get any stronger. You should be able to play soccer at 6 weeks.

Also, implants are difficult to get in or out through small incisions, and will not "fall out", even if the incision is opened surgically.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Post op Tummytuck information

+1

The post operative rule for strenuous activity is typically 4-6 weeks.  Meaning, no strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks following any surgical procedure.  And then you go back to activity listening to your body.  If you feel any pain or discomfort going back to full activity then you wait longer.  But general rule is 4-6 weeks.  Hope this answers your question.

Susan Kaweski, MD