How Do I Know if I Have Torn Abdominal Muscles?

I have 2 kids - ages 4 and 2, both delivered via c-section. After 2 pregnancies, my belly is never the same, although I've always had a little pooch - I can't tell if I have a torn abdominal muscle. No matter how much I exercise and do ab work, I still couldn't get the old belly back (not necessarily flat but not protruding at least). . . Been thinking about getting a tummy tuck but I want to gather as much information as I can before making a decision. . . Thank you.

Overstretched abdominal fascia leading to an abdominal bulge

+2

The resting tone of the abdomen is due to the quality of the anterior rectus fascia. This is an investing fascia that wraps around the rectus abdominis muscles.  These are the two paired muscles that make up the so called 6 pack.  Think of these muscles like sausages wrapped in a fascia.  During a pregnancy the fascia can stretch and can separate the muscles in the midline, this is known as a diastasis recti.  Unfortunately this fascia has no elastic qualities of its own and once stretched will remain permanently stretched unless it is repaired surgically.  This is what gives you the increased abdominal girth.   

Abdominal muscles torn

+2

During pregnancy, and as we age, the muscles of the abdominal wall can lose their tone, elasticity, and overall integrity. Obviously, there are always things that can be done to strengthen the abdominal wall and delay the onset of this loss. When a muscle is torn, it is usually a traumatic event that causes pain in a specific location. So, unless you've sustained an injury, it is unlikely that your muscles are torn. Your muscles can, however be distended and weak due to the mentioned factors. Additionally, you may even have an abdominal wall hernia or "bulge". The only way to be sure is to consult with a Board-certified plastic surgoen and undergo a physical exam. Good luck and fare well.

Abdominal tearing?

+2

After two pregnancies, your muscles are not torn but the connective tissues  have spread and weakened. This is called a diastasis rectus.  It is repaired during the abdominoplasty and will minimize the protrusion.  Caesarean sections contribute to this problem.  The best way to gather information is to see a plastic surgeon for a comprehensive examination and a recommendation.

Abdominal wall laxity after pregnancy is not due to problems with the abdominal muscles.

+2

There is nothing wrong with the abdominal muscles a woman with abdominal wall laxity after pregnancy. The fascia (connective tissue) is stretched and can be repaired within abdominoplasty. The muscles are left alone.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

Rectus Muscle Separation

+2

If you have rectus muscle separation or diastasis, a tummy tuck with plication of the muscles can significantly improve pooch.

+2

With pregnancy, the abdominal wall problems are typically not "torn muscles" but rather separation of the rectus muscles, the two vertical muscles that run either side of the midline of the abdomen. If you lay on your back and begin a situp and see a vertical bulge, that is a finding of what we call "diastasis rectus"

A visit to a plastic surgeon is a more reliable way of determining the status of your abdominal wall, and what can be done to improve it. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.