Removal of a Capsulated Cyst on My Cheek Without Leaving a Scar? (photo)

I Have a Small Capsulated Cyst on my Upper Cheek, Can It Be Removed Without Leaving a Large Scar?

Can a cyst be removed from cheek "without leaving a scar"

+1

I agree with my fellow surgeons that any time an incision is made a scar results. However, proper placement of that incision and meticulous tissue handling and wound closure typically results in a well healed incision. Scars mature and improve over about 6-12 months on their own but as soon as six weeks, dermabrasion or laser resurfacing can optimize the appearance of a scar. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

May not be a cyst!

+1

Both the history of this growth and the physical appearance are important here.  This appears to me to be a sebaceous adenoma or an oil gland growth.  These can be confused with a common skin cancer called a basal cell carcinoma.  I agree with the dermatologist who suggested that you see a dermatologist.  If it as sebaceous adenoma a rather simple cautery with scraping can reduce the appearance.  A biopsy may be indicated.  If it is a cyst, a punch biopsy excision usually works well and leaves a minimal scar.  Anytime a procedure is performed, poor healing leading to an unsightly scar is possible.

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

There is no such thing as "scar free surgery"

+1

Any time a growth is removed form the skin there is always a scar. The trick is to minimize and hide the scar in the normal "lines" in the face. This is best done by a physician who is skilled in skin surgery such as a dermatologic surgeon or a plastic surgeon. If your growth is truly a cyst it can usually be removed through a small, linear incision in the overlying skin which should leave an almost imperceptible scar.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimal Scar

+1

Do you mean an encapsulated cyst? At any rate, this lesion does not appear to be any sort of cyst to my eye. Fortunately, this also does not seem to present too difficult a problem for a simple surgical excision. I feel it can be excised with a minimal scar. Should point out that anytime the deeper portion of the dermis is invaded, as would be in an excision, there will be some sort of scar, irregardless of technique or the skill of the surgeon.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist