Numbness After Scalp Cyst Removal

Why I Still Feel Numbness After the Cyst Removal on my Scalp? The Surgery Was Done More Than Seven Days Ago.

Numb scalp

+2

Loss of sensation after removal of a large deep lesion is not uncommon. Sometimes it takes months for feeling to return. Much less often it can be permanent. You have to give it time. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Numbness post scalp surgery

+2

Numbness can  take weeks to months to resolve post any excision.  There rare cases where a numb area may persist permanently, but it is certainly too soon to tell for you.  Most likely sensation will slowly return over the next few weeks.  If you have any muscle weakness in the neck or shoulder, be sure to tell your surgeon.

You will likely be going back in for suture removal, so mention your concerns at that time to the medical staff.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Numbness in scalp after surgery

+1

Cysts can be deep and at the upper forehead to the front of the scalp, nerve endings become superficial. Removing the skin growth must involve cutting through the skin and the nerve endings must regenerate. They heal slowly and sometimes not for months or longer. There may be very slow recovery with tingling or crawling or jabbing sensations as it heals. Usually it gradually returns to normal or close to normal over weeks to months.