I'm 20 yrs old. Would Sliding Genioplasty enhance my weak jaw after braces?

Will having a Sliding Genioplasty performed ruin the proper allignment of my teeth? I had braces at a younger age and one of the options was to have jaw surgery in order to correct my bite, however at the time I didn't think that my small jaw would be noticeable. At the age of 20 now I want to enhance my weak jaw both vertically and horizontally and I know that chin implants don't effect the vertical chin length.

Sliding Genioplasty for Horizontal and Vertical Chin Enhancement

+1
Sliding genioplasty is a chin augmentation technique that moves the chin bone below the level of the anterior mandibular tooth roots, thus having no negative effect on them. Besides being a 'natural' chin augmentation method, it can change both the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the chin. Computer imaging would help show how much movement in millimeters would be beneficial in both of these dimensions for your face.

Sliding genioplasty

+1
The procedure would not have any effects on your teeth. Sliding genioplasty can lengthen and advance the chin. If you need more than 5-6mm advancement, jaw surgery might be a better option. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin surgery

+1
you are quite correct in your assessment. When the orthodontics does not allow the lower jaw advancement in the plan; you do notice the smaller 'jawline/chin' over time as the tissues change.
A sliding genioplasty is commonly used to provide natural compensation and contour for the front of the lower jaw. Sometimes you also need some width to the 'back/side' of jawline so you should have that evaluated.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon