When Can I Sleep Normally After Smart Lipo?

I had my procedure done 15 days ago on my flanks and upper/lower abs. When can I begin to sleep normally? (on my sides, belly, etc...)

Sleeping positions are not restricted after liposuction normally

+1

I recommend to my post liposuction patients that they wear their compression garments during sleeping and to place a waterproof barrier on their mattress for the first night in case their is drainage, but I don't tell them they can't sleep in a certain position, unless it was on the face and neck, then it is best to avoid sleeping on your stomach or side for the first few nights.  If the abdomen is operated on, and you sleep on your tummy there might be some more swelling and bruising and the same would hold for having liposuction on the back and sleeping on your back, but if it's not uncomfortable, I would not restrict my patients from doing so. It is important that you ask your surgeon why you were told this and to ask their permission because there might have been a unique circumstance for you.

+1

Right after the operation my patients sleep normally. Why were you not told to sleep normally??? Please explain. 

Sleeping after Liposuction

+1

There is no reason to modify your sleeping habits after liposuction. Your surgeon would probably ask that you wear one of a variety of compression garments to reduce swelling and keep the skin from shifting as it is healing but there should be no reason why you cannot sleep / gently occasionally compress some of the treated areas.  To be sure, ask you surgeon and be sure to understand both his/her instructions as well as his/her reasoning.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD